Black screen of death......

Ours is 240 AC John. Interesting that you have two phases available.

For our more demanding appliances like cookers, showers, and Mutley’s fur straighteners, its heavier cable and higher MCB rating. RCD’s are required in accordance with the regulations for appliances like showers.

Interesting about lethal current, I saw a discovery Myth Busters show not long ago where they tested various appliances falling in a bath with a ballistics gel dummy. It was surprising how little current across the heart was required to kill.

Well, this thread is inextricably lost so I think it's time for...

Allard’s Darkon Theory

Many of you will be familiar with the analogies that use the flow of water in pipes to describe electrical phenomena. There’s no end of similarities in the two, with pressure being like voltage and flow analogous to current.

Personally, this all breaks down for me when it comes to comparing switches to valves, however. The terminology for the two are entirely backwards. In hydraulics, the water flows through an open valve and is blocked by a closed valve. Electrically speaking, the effect is reversed; an open switch halts current flow while a closed one permits it. Entirely unsatisfying.

Take heart! I have promulgated a theory which sets this anomaly right again. I propose to you a new sub-atomic particle, the Darkon. Contrary to what most people believe, I propose that Darkons behave opposite from the more commonly discussed electrons. Further, I believe that electric lights do not function as a result of being supplied with a flow of electrons, but rather generate light when the flow of Darkons is interrupted.

Therefore, switches under this theory do behave exactly in the manner of valves with respect to Darkons. A closed switch blocks Darkon flow in exactly the same manner a closed valve blocks flowing water; an open switch, like an open valve, permits the Darkons to flow again.

The electric light goes off when the switch is opened because the Darkons are flowing through the light. When the switch is closed the flow of Darkons is stopped, and the light comes on. Simplicity itself!

:yikes: You're all mad!

Where does 'electron hole theory' enter into your 'Darkon' theory John?

With the hole [and charge] travelling from negative to positive and the electron travelling from positive to negative.

:rockon: :giggle:

'Darkon'! That could be a character for my novel. Thanks John! :wink:

Time for us to team up John and write a short story. :bored:

Boxwings Airfreight is hired to transport a container of 'Darkons' suspended in an electromagnetic field.

The top-secret contract has us whisking the Darkons off to area 51 for installation in a downed alien saucer.

As the genius that discovered the Darkon, you are fully aware that the elusive particle is the only means of firing up the saucers anti-grav. In fact, the area 51 scientists will require your services during the tricky installation procedure.

Our story will find you kidnapped by alien half reptiles, half human hybrids, who will attempt to extract the secret of the darkon from your brain using nano probes.

Of course, I will come to your rescue.

Do you think it’s a bit over the top for Boxwings? :help:

You're all mad!

Including you, of course, Uncle Martin. I was with you until the nano-probes. Nasty little buggers.

Dai, I was honestly not aware of that movie and I've been spinning that Darkon story for years. Everyone wants to get in on the action.

Have you guys noticed that this seems to be a geezer's thread? We've not heard from anyone younger than Uncle Martin here.

John

Whoa!! Geezers - NOT! Pam has just read out part of an article called Bedroom Tactics (I kid you not!) from her latest copy of Organic Life and - how about this for coincidence? - the article says:

...most U.K. homes are wired using a 'ring mains' system, ideally the slightly more expensive 'radial' or 'tree and branch' circuit is preferable for minimising electromagnetic fields in the home.

The author, Bob Harris (no, not that one, Joe! - this one talks normally),

..... is an award winning Master Builder and an experienced dowser, trained in Germany to find Hartmann and Curry energy lines and check for magnetic fields.

So, if you want more info, email Bob on: bobharris@earthdome.plus.com

Cheers - Dai :eyebrow:

Oh my god, no, no, no! :rockon:

How will I break the news to him? Poor John. :sadblinky:

Sorry John but I'll just have to spit it out, so prepare yourself.

I'm afraid you will have to abandon the Darkon hypothesis. I'm so sorry.

It suddenly occurred to me as I was eating my porridge. The water/ electricity analogy and your switch confusion, I'm afraid there's no need at all to invoke the Darkon. :sadblinky:

The metal of the gate valve is akin to air. The air between the electrical switch I mean. Water pressure is an acceptable analogy. :sad:

This awful revelation has made me so sad.

If you need any support regarding this John, if it's all a bit too much, I’m sure uncle Mutley will offer his support.

I'm sure Dai will offer you some comfort also.

Don't worry, I’m sue another mysterious particle will materialise soon. :eyebrow:

Something tells me there’s a connection between Mutley and the elusive ‘Barkon’