GEN X Photo Scenery Installation

I have just installed Playsims/HORIZON's VFR Photographic Scenery Generation X VOLS 1 & 2 for FSX, and (noting their enormous disk-space requirements) have a few uncertainties, if any one on the forum who uses this scenery can help me ......

The box mentions 18Gb space each volume (whereas on my system they take up a great deal more!). True I have opted for the total (maximum) install options ... but still I have perhaps installed more than is necessary, even wanting to take advantage of the highest possible resolution available.

Question ... if I want 0.6m resolution, are the install options integral, exclusive, or complementary? ... ie for the highest resolution do I need to also tick "1.2m & 2.4m" ??? My FSX scenery library reports the following for each volume sub-area:-

... 0.6m Day scenery

... 1.2m Day scenery

... 2.4m Day scenery

... 2.4m Night scenery

... 4.8m Terrain mesh

... Vectors

Is this correct and/or all necessary ... ??

Any advice would be welcome ... David

David, hello.

Am assuming you are using GenX version 3, as you mention 0.6 metre resolution.

I use version 1 which has a maximum resolution of 1.2 metres with 2.4 metre resolution - both need to be ticked for the scenery to work as they are used in all geographical areas..

Version 3's 0.6 metre res' is only used in a few selected geographical areas, so I would assume that all 3 resolution scenery types need to be ticked. I'm sure version 3 users will confirm this.

As a parting note, for any given area, 0.6 metre resolution will require appriximately 16x the disk space as the 2.4 metre res', hence the fact that it is used for selected relatively small areas. To cover England and Wales at 0.6m would require the software to be distributed via blue-ray or on a pre-loaded hard drive.

Regards,

Ray.

Thanks Ray & Mike,

Yes I know, new harddisks are really required, but as I use 4 computers for my cockpit setup (each with a pucka FSX etc) this an expensive undertaking!!)

Yep, I have installed version 3 ... Thanks for the confirmation that to profit from 0.6m res ALL daytime resolutions need to be ticked ... although I suppose the 2.4m night option could be omitted (some users report that GEN X night lighting is not too impressive?)

David

David,

I use Ultimate TerrainX Europe with the GenerationX photo-scenery which provides decent night lighting and enhances the coastline areas (in my opinion), plus it considerably expands the road traffic to most of the A-class roads. It also re-aligns many of the non-autogen scenery objects to their real-world coordinates, giving a closer fit to GenX.

Your sim setup sounds interesting, - presumably, storing your scenery databases on a common networked HD would bring timing/frame-rate issues?

Cheers,

Ray.

t GEN X night lighting is not too impressive?

That is an understatement. 'Dire' might be a better word.

Your best bet for night lighting is to install UTX/E - the 3D lights will sit over the landscape very nicely.

Your best bet for night lighting is to install UTX/E - the 3D lights will sit over the landscape very nicely.

Tim if you install UTX where does it need to sit in the scenery order in realtion to Horizon stuff? Also do you have to make any changes to Horizon options?

UTX & GenX scenery both appear to work together, day or night, regardless of which takes priority over the other.

Config changes to either, also appear to be harmless.

Personally I prefer to have Genx low down in the scenery list - above default scenery, but below any further scenery addons.

Cheers,

Ray

Right ... I see that I can uninstall GENX night scenery without problem, but have to keep all other options ticked (if I wish to benifit from 0.6m resolution ... which is the main reason I bought GENX ver3 ... !!! ... horns of the old dilemma).

Tim a Ray, I guess though that using UTX Europe nightlighting would take up a big bit of HD space, no?

And yes exactly Ray, using a common HD would slow down my 4 computer setup ... the original purpose of which was to maximize frame rate whilst using 3 full screen forward views (on 3 computers), with only the cockpit panels on the fourth computer ......

I too keep the GENX photo scenery low down in the scenery library, but the related UK2000 AIRPORTS high in scenery list.

David

David,

Had a look at UTX-Europe, which unlike most scenery addons, is installed within FSX itself, i.e. it creates a Flight One Software folder within the main FSX folder (183MBytes). The main sub-sections of the software are then created in the FSX\scenery folder. UTEurRoad is the largest sub-section (2.5GB), unfortunately for your usage, the probable night lighting section is UTEurLights (1.06GB) - by far the 2nd largest section of UTX-E.

I suspect that you may be able to use just this folder and delete the rest? If the night texture files follow standard FSX protocol it may be possible to delete the main Flight One folder also.

Ray