windows 8

I seem to get them mostly when I escape from a flight and am using a high memory aircraft, if I close out of FSX before the preview plane has reappeared in the main freeflight screen it will do it every time. I figured it was a side effect of Win7 and my installation of FSX in the default location and a lack of computing power. :(

I once read that getting to many of these corrupt closing warnings can lead to a future crash but am not sure if this is valid or just a theory from the author. :huh:     

It seems that finally someone at M.S. has listened to public criticism  , however their absolute arrogance , will still not allow them to admit they got it wrong. I wonder if other white elephants such as office 365, and office 2013 , will follow

Mrs Thatcher had a phrase for it "being economic with the truth"

• 3 months later...

Well I thought i would resurrect my win8 pro drive , and put it back in the p.c. with the windows 7 drives.

when i first tried this a year ago it caused all kinds of corruption on the boot sectors of the win 7 drives, however since following m.s. suggestion of disabling fast boot in win 8 all is well and the win 8 drive works well alongside the win 7 .

So I have finally installed fsx in win 8 pro as well as REX and a few ftx uk airports with ftx england. performance doesnt appear any different to win7  but there again I havent started to modify the fsx .cfg yet and whether we like it or not win8 is here to stay in one form or another and having paid the kingly some of 28 euros for it , i might as well use it. Hopefully the 8.1 update in a month or two will allow us to get rid of the hateful metro interface. However if you use two screens the second screen look just like the normal windows 7 one with the exception of the stupidly small corner touch areas which are so fiddly to find.

If you want your primary screen to look like win 7 simply right click on the desktop and tell it to show the desktop icons and when win 8 fires up simply hit the desktop icon in the metro rubbish and everything looks like win7

No doubt there must be some improvements under the clothes of win8 which may make fsx better, who knows?

Try and start using the "windows" key (it was the most dusty key before, i never used it on XP ). Hit Win key - go to desktop, hit again- metro. Also a good shortcut win+X. If you find troublesome hitting the corner for the search share settings and whatnot, hit win+C.

Try and start using the "windows" key (it was the most dusty key before, i never used it on XP ). Hit Win key - go to desktop, hit again- metro. Also a good shortcut win+X. If you find troublesome hitting the corner for the search share settings and whatnot, hit win+C.

Thanks for those thoughts Gunner, as you say my windows key is nearly seized up and although originally I knew of the shortcuts i had long forgotten them.

John it is mostly a bit different and with no obvious performance boost or benefit to FSX,. however they did start with win 7 to make what they did , so perhaps somewhere in the undergrowth there are benefits that are not immediately evident, and perhaps 8.1 may add something we dont expect.

I have to admit to constantly looking at win8 with a jaundiced eye  imho the metro interface is for the brain dead, and in some way expected it to go the way of vista, but as m.s. seems to have dug its heels in deep , we must look at win 8 as the future until the next version surfaces.

Yep, understand that, just wondering if there's a pressing reason to do it sooner rather than later.

John

I think if you took advantage of it when it was 30 bucks, a year ago, then yes it was worth while, But I think if you havent  got it, then keep a listening watch on what happens after 8.1 comes out.

My gut feeling is that it will be best to stay with 7 for now because any improvements that win 8 can offer will only benefit recent releases not an old dog like fsx

Yeah I have Windows 8 on my laptop. I gotta say first off I hated it, especially with the natty-assed Start page that is super sensitive with the touchpad...just a touch and it's off to the races God knows where, hee hee. However it's like everything else new, you learn to cope eventually. When I use an exterior mouse everything calms down. Also I would guess someone with a touch screen would have less of a problem. I opted out on the touchscreen because of the fingerprints all over the screen. I put everything I need on the taskbar and for the most part forget about the Start screen.

• 2 weeks later...