EBBE Beauvechain AB - Beauvechain, Belgium

y4mD1H44wu7-neEpzb7uj9EIwcGwmfkdocQqjK8P

y4mDQ58x9GJDL3-37LN_zXXTDg2ZFBLGZaRkqwiI

GUCY Gbessia - Conakry, Guinea

y4mee9Fak9xlS01LK1LYuF3ylH4PaIYvcG7SNcu-

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,601; downloads 2,028

This is something of a milestone day - 1,600 airport diagram files posted at Mutley's Hangar. That includes a handful of "bundles" in the Special Events section, so those are kind of double counted, and Quickmarch has contributed about 30 so far, so they're not all my work. Just the same, that's the only counter we've got so when it ticks over a cardinal number, we'll take note of it. Other than that, it's business as usual.

KTRI, Tri-Cities Regional in Tennessee, was a request today. The other two came from the military airfields list and the national capitals list. All three are reasonably complex airports and KTRI and EBBE both required two plates.

Tomorrow may be an off day for newsletter work.

John

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you'd like to subscribe (free) and have all new and updated airport diagram files e-mailed to you,

contact me at allardjd@earthlink.net with a Subject Line of "Airport Diagram Subscription".

12/3/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

5D5 Woolsey Meml - Northport, Michigan - US

y4mH-kCnFDxxHYw1zUHHL7aYlVdy_4DEbHbE7Q_9

O07 Westheimer - Houston, Texas - US

y4mYnbY_1LsYCmY4H-itAXSTkTj8pusd4lzEHdWn

Updated:

EDVE Braunschweig - Braunschweig, Germany (updated)

y4mr0D2OAhg7XkYr0vM-by8WgBf19rm-OkfgceFf

y4mA6OgZW-bldP2C8B8G_M-aj1_8uNFXeR8Ti3kz

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,603; downloads 2,028

I'm back at it after a day off for newsletter work. The last batch I did had three new airports in it so today is an update day; Braunschweig, Germany was the oldest, so it got a re-do. It's become a 2-plate diagram this time, the only one in today's batch.

The other two are relatively small airports, one with a pair of grass strips in an L-configuration and the other looking like a very nice one-runway, paved airport - that is until you begin reading the details. Westheimer turns out to be a 2,500 X 28' strip - yikes. Both of the new ones are in the US and both came from the traffic lists.

John

If you'd like to subscribe (free) and have all new and updated airport diagram files e-mailed to you,

contact me at allardjd@earthlink.net with a Subject Line of "Airport Diagram Subscription".

12/4/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

KSKF Lackland AFB Kelly Fld Annex - San Antonio, Texas - US

y4mtZnOaCvwWZFlRA31CpQHt2nkVAqcvNJ1dzWva

y4mA2uLRsWIhU0Xl2Pve4rX-fcUUWjE4WYuty3uI

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,604; downloads 2,028

Only one today, KSKF, Lackland AFB, the home of the USAF's boot camp, among other things.

John

12/9/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

EGEO North Connel - Oban, UK

y4mMtnt3F9sb1gdECUVHr5m5dB7W_p0dlrs4oG85

ULL Glenforsa - Glenforsa, UK

y4m_0-jPoNqA0bnOFxMDOQ0z_5_MIqeid5JH7sQW

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,606; downloads 2,030

No, I haven't been kidnapped by Santa's elves. It's just that busy time of the year and I'm kind of up to my eyebrows. I have a new request list to work from - kinda', sorta'. He didn't really request it - more like posted it where I'd trip over it and it needs doing so I took the bait. The two airports today are from that list.

Will be away for the next few days, so there will be another dry spell but thought I ought to get a couple out at least before I forgot how to do them.

John

12/14/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

EKCH Kastrup - Copenhagen, Denmark

y4mh8R4S0FogWbhjTKKWn0rOQaKovFyBNd-K2kWx

y4mKWt06BUIP3pLd64TSGyVaHY3tT0ghDvLG4fBc

y4mVahoRbZf4d9i1BKJ6pYLIEl8RhQhxCUblL7SM

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,607; downloads 2,108

Quite a spike in the download count since I last updated, mainly due to one downloader, I think.

Have returned from a short vacation but only got one diagram done today - Copenhagen was a tough one and took quite a bit of work. The taxiways are a mess - a big airport with closely spaced taxiways in several locations makes for a challenge labeling them clearly. This one took three plates and I'm not crazy about the way it came out, but I think you could land there at night and find your way around - that's the objective. As you might expect, this one came from the national capitals list.

With house guests and the usual holiday hustle and bustle the production will probably be spotty for the next week or more, but will do my best to get new ones out regularly.

John

12/15/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

LSTS St.-Stephan Mil - St.-Stephan, Switzerland

y4mInM491BoLh1RXofytFCqQ1xJRWx3FTKeQgmAB

CEF6 Forestburg - Forestburg, Alberta - Canada

y4msY3Jm6pVRpvdVo8hygHRxic3tCuzFjB6549x6

EGXJ Cottesmore AB - Cottesmore, UK

y4mA8jTgqHJ5BAKN5k8f2do9Sy-M2iLgRoGNhjaZ

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,610; downloads 2,108

The three new ones today are all relatively small fields that just happened to fall off the lists I'm using. Cottesmore is from the military airfields list. LSTS is military too but didn't come from that particular list.

I got a new list today and will be concentrating on those airports for the next few days - mostly Swiss airports. For those of you who enjoy playing amongst the Cumulus Granitus these might prove interesting.

John

12/16/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

LSGG Geneva - Geneva, Switzerland

y4muW2LAlX_unH8fYmiRDJQpjCMZBZRjSgeBYbzl

y4mM9vdXXsnExGkxceA0-ZYE71KUu_FLYlRCSQ2D

LSMJ Turtmann Mil - Turtmann, Switzerland

y4m5DpDDl_kmq_8iLwchtzM-nJL8JDlQ8xtW2aeC

Updated:

KMHK Manhattan Regl - Manhattan, Kansas - US (updated)

y4mFeOyt5hXQ594o1hGnZYg44W5mA3Xn23OmCG0f

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,612; downloads 2,108

The two new airfields today are from the new request list and as luck would have it, one of them is a Swiss military base. There was another of those in yesterday's batch, from an entirely unrelated list. Today's non-military Swiss airport, Geneva, LSGG, was moderately complex and required a second plate. When I first looked at it I thought there was only one runway but upon closer examination, there's a grass strip buried in that mess too.

I'm going to continue to give the new Swiss list top priority until I've worked through it - probably about three more days. I will continue to include one update every other day. Today's update, Manhattan, Kansas, KMKH replaces an original from around September, 2009, so over three years old. Most of the content was OK, even though it was produced from FS9 data, but the current format is more standardized and does include a handful of data elements that I was not including at that time.

John

12/17/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

LSAZ Reichenbach - Reichenbach, Switzerland

y4mAreWhhoDFb7WGYWNDlrDWLsGkcTZIrvkSPSRo

LSMI Interlaken Mil - Interlaken, Switzerland

y4mRgXM3MEADlEKkOIgRNxOPRmb9snfLOdcTL6Ko

LSMM Meiringen Mil - Meiringen, Switzerland

y4mnsKV5YcdJNwCcXxc-16KegZNRmBWCiz71N3Ms

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,615; downloads 2,108

Who knew the Swiss had so many air bases? I guess maybe old Adolph did. His generals told him not to mess with Switzerland and, uncharacteristically, he listened to them. There are two more in today's batch, from the current request list - all three are Swiss and two of them are Military. There are four more airports on the list, one of which is in Italy. I haven't looked to see if any of the remaining three are military or not.

This has caused me to lose some faith in the military airfields list that I had been using, which I thought was global but apparently is not. I'm finding these Swiss airfields listed in some of my other lists (I always check) but none have come up at all when bouncing them against the military airfields list.

None of these three were particularly challenging; one had a pair of custom buildings that didn't need to be - they were essentially rectangular. None had an ILS; none had labeled taxiways. All in all, these were pretty low-order airfields as FSX goes.

John

12/18/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

AYMD Madang - Madang, Papua New Guinea

y4mZ9QTLNm7q0rQ-27h3XBOYcGf724TS-DWWXij1

AYNZ Nadzab - Lae, Papua New Guinea

y4mYz_2_UPAPYl6WdrQcDsYqtu9ByRzPV5c0O-JL

GNA Garaina - Garaina, Papua New Guinea

y4mqUQJ8UE1mRjgW3AovM5Yw6OGGqGpfRVQNERJs

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,618; downloads 2,108; subscribers 13

Yeah, I know - these are not in Switzerland. I received a new list today and it has a shorter fuse than the remainder of the Swiss one, so the new list went to the top of the list of lists - confused yet?

One of these, GNA, would not have met my criteria for a diagram but since it's on a requested list, it's in anyway. The other two, somewhat surprisingly for that part of the world, are pretty credible airports, though neither has an ILS. One has labeled taxiways, but too few to require a second plate to accommodate them - both have control towers.

Nadzab in Lae, AYNZ, has some historical significance, built by the US Army in WWII.

Look for more from this list tomorrow and then the remainder of the ones from the Alps. Given the number of requests waiting in the wings I'm going to suspend the updates until the request lists are worked off.

John

12/19/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

TAP Tapini - Tapini, Papua New Guinea

-

WTP Woitape - Woitape, Papua New Guinea

-

LSMC Ulrichen - Ulrichen, Switzerland

-

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,621; downloads 2,108; subscribers 13

Alright then - here are the last two from the latest request list and one more from the Swiss list. That one has three remaining, one of which is actually in Italy. With any luck tomorrow should see the end of those. I'll drop back to my normal routine following that, barring any more requests coming in. I really prefer the requests simply because of knowing that they are airports someone has a current interest in and that they may actually be used, vice stabbing in the dark by random selection from non-descript lists acquired from who knows where.

All three of these airports today are at the low end of complexity - single strips with no buildings (except a tower at one), two of the three with unpaved runways, no fuel pumps, no navaids, no published approaches, no lights, etc. They're pretty Spartan across the board but were chosen by someone for an event. I do know that some of them are much more difficult to fly into or out of than they are to diagram, owing mainly to nearby terrain.

The only surprise today was a runway surface type I have not seen before - WTP is listed as "Turf". I'm not quite sure how that differs from Grass, which is quite common in FSX. Anyway, WTP has a turf runway, according to FSX. This is the second (of eleven) runway surface types that I won't try to abbreviate in the runway tables - Dirt is the other one. All others get abbreviated to keep the table suitably narrow. If there's ILS data in the table that can become a concern for table formatting.

There are 21 runway surface types available in ADE, including "Unknown", so there may yet be some others lurking in FSX that I haven't seen yet. Oddly enough, Turf is not one of the ones in ADE, so it seems that the two are not in total synch and each is using its own list of runway surfaces. What's in the diagrams is what's in FSX - eleven types and counting.

John

12/20/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

LSPM Ambri - Ambri, Switzerland

-

LSZL Locarno - Locarno, Switzerland

-

LILG Vergiate - Vergiate, Italy

-

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,624; downloads 2,108; subscribers 13

These three finish off the Swiss request list and tomorrow, unless a new request list emerges, I'll be back to the normal daily routine of alternately taking one airport from each of four lists in sequence, with an update of the oldest file every other day. I try to do three a day total but sometimes it's more and sometimes none at all.

All three of today's airports are a bit more complex than the ones in yesterdays batch, but are still not big or complex airports. LSZL in Locarno, Switzerland comes closest. It's towered and has three parallel runways, but two of them are grass and all are short - the paved one is the longest at 2,621' X 75' - not an overly generous runway. It has a large assortment of buildings and two MS fuel stations, but no nearby navaids and no published approaches and it is not lighted.

The other two, one Swiss and one Italian, are single runway airports with paved strips and some infrastructure, but are non-towered, unlighted and have no more to recommend them than Locarno does. The runway at LSPM in Ambri, Switzerland is listed as over 6,500' long but over two thirds of that is taken up by severely displaced thresholds and very long over-runs, suggesting terrain or other obstructions in the approach paths.

All three have interesting and relatively unusual layouts but don't give the impression of being high-traffic destinations. I believe, however, that they are all situated in the midst of some magnificent scenery, so there may in fact be a good reason to visit them.

John

12/21/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

BIRK Reykjavik - Reykjavik, Iceland

-

59S Evergreen - Vancouver, Washington - US

-

CYVB Bonaventure - Bonaventure, Quebec - Canada

-

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,627; downloads 2,108; subscribers 13

Since the Mayans were wrong (or were misinterpreted) I did three airports today. If the world had actually come to an end I probably would not have bothered.

Today's airports are from the routine lists I'd been using before the recent request lists came to me. They represent the 286th European airport, the 658th US airport and the 80th Canadian one.

Reykjavik, BIRK, is by far the most complex of the bunch and came from the national capitals list today. Taxiway designations were sufficiently numerous to push to a second plate to avoid cluttering up the already busy main image.

The other two airports are much smaller with less to offer, but are still complex enough to be fairly interesting

airfields.

John

12/22/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

CYQX Gander Intl - Gander, Newfoundland - Canada

-

UTAA Ashgabat - Ashgabat, Turkmenistan

-

Updated:

KRND Randolph AFB - Universal City, Texas - US

-

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,629; downloads 2,108; subscribers 13

Today's batch of airports are a little meatier than what I've been serving up for the past few days. The list includes one from the military airfields list (Gander Intl, a mixed use field), one from the national capitals list ( UTAA in Turkmenistan), and an update, Randolph AFB, also a military field, of course.

According to Wiki the Canadian Forces base at Gander shares the field with the international airport but is a separate entity. Nonetheless, it's listed in my Military Airfields list and that's what brought it up today. Gander Intl has three runways but one is a diminutive 1,875' X 50' and you could be forgiven for not even noticing it on the diagram. This is the only airport today that didn't roll over to a second plate, but easily could have - a few more taxiways to label and I'd have done that.

UTAA, Ashgabat, in Turkmenistan also has three runways with one much smaller then the other two. Oddly for the main airport of a national capital and being so large, there are no ILS runways. They appear to have broken the budget on LOMs and LMMs instead, with no less than five NDBs co-located with Outer or Middle Markers and NDB approaches to all four ends of the two main parallel runways, one of which is nearly 12,200' long. Buildings are fairly sparse for such a large airport, but there is a complex terminal building in FSX.

Randolph AFB is the update today, with two good sized parallel runways, ILSs at all four ends and THREE control towers. Leave it to the AF to do things up properly - and then some.

John

12/23/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

YLCG Lake Cargelligo = Lake Cargelligo, Victoria - Australia

-

57D Ray Community - Ray, Michigan - US

-

EKBI Billund - Billund, Denmark

-

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,632; downloads 2,108; subscribers 13

This is a pretty varied set of airports today, with no updates - all three are newly created. At the low end of the spectrum is YLCG, Lake Cargelligo in Victoria, Australia. It has two unpaved runways and little else to recommend it.

Ray Community in Ray, Michigan (north of Detroit) is a fairly complex looking airport with a pair of crossing runways, one of which is paved. The long one, however, is only 2,500' X 60 feet so not exactly a major airpatch despite a large number of buildings.

EKBI in Billund, Denmark is, from all appearances, a pretty major field which, according to Wiki is both a major passenger and cargo center. Oddly, it came from the military airfields list but Wiki makes no mention of that. Looking at it in Google Earth I see no evidence of any military looking aircraft, so suspect that this airport doesn't really belong on that list. Anyway, its diagrammed, requiring two plates.

John

12/26/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

PGSN Francisco C. Ada/Saipan Intl - Saipan I - Northern Mariana Islands

-

T40 McGehee Catfish Restaurant - Marietta, Oklahoma - US

-

8I1 Robinson - Vevay, Indiana - US

-

EHSB Soesterberg AB - Soesterberg, Netherlands

-

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,636; downloads 2,108; subscribers 13

I actually did one of these on the 24th and got it posted to the MH File Library but never had a chance to post the notices. I didn't do any on Christmas Day but did manage three on the 26th so here are all four.

PGSN is from the national capitals list, of course, and Soesterberg AB is from the military airfields list. The others are from the more egalitarian lists that pull in most everything. I'm not sure how we got this far in life without knowing about the McGehee Catfish Restaurant airport.

None of these required extra plates.

John

12/27/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

NFTF Fua'amotu Intl - Nuku'alofa, Tonga

-

KHBI Asheboro Mun - Asheboro, North Carolina - US

-

Updated:

EGBM Tatenhill - Tatenhill, UK (updated)

-

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,638; downloads 2,108; subscribers 13

There's certainly nothing in this bunch that can top McGehee Catfish Restaurant airport from yesterday.

NFTF is from the national capitals list, and has a pair of runways, one of which is grass and is a whopping 377 feet wide. That's about the only remarkable or curious item in the whole batch.

Tatenhill, of course, is an update of an old file.

John

12/28/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

KJOT Joliet Regl - Joliet, Illinois - US

-

KBAD Barksdale AFB - Bossier City, Louisiana - US

-

PTRO Babelthuap/Koror - Babelthuap I, Palau

-

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,642; downloads 2,109; subscribers 13

Barksdale AFB, KBAD (you've got to love that ICAO code), is the current home of all the remaining B-52s. Not surprisingly it's got a big runway, about 11,800' X 300'. That's a pretty good sized patch of pavement in anyone's book.

The other two are garden-variety, though PTRO is at least remote and exotic. It came from the national capitals list. Barksdale was from the military fields list.

John

12/31/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

CJW5 Russell - Russell, Manitoba - Canada

-

KFYV Drake - Fayetteville, Arkansas - US

-

Updated:

KJAS Jasper Co-Bell - Jasper, Texas - US (updated)

-

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,644; downloads 2,110; subscribers 13

Happy new year to everyone. I hope it's the best ever for all of you.

This will be my last post in this thread. I'll start a new one for January.

I did an update today to the oldest diagram, KJAS in Jasper TX. I believe that one was originally done around 9/20/09, so it was due.

I received one request list today, which has sixteen airports. Of those, six are already done, so there will need to be ten new ones added to round out that one. There's another request list threatened, but not received yet. Lists from that source are usually for about five or six, so it shouldn't be any big effort. Those will cause me to suspend any more updates of the ancient ones until completed, however, so those old ones will just have to languish.

Today's new offerings are one each in Manitoba, Canada and in Arkansas. The latter, Drake KFYV turned out to be a decent sized airport with a couple of custom buildings and enough named taxiways to need a second plate for labeling them.

The Canadian one has a lot less going on, but it's one more in the bag.

John