New hardware.

Well, FSX can't make much use of it but I have other "games" too  ;)

Hi Joe,

Could you clarify what you mean by your comment above. (Just for me. Being a numpty and all that).

I would like in the future to get the best affordable (to me) GPU out there, but if that means paying big bucks for something that FSX or P3D come to that, won't make use of, I would like to know what GPU would be better than the GTX570 cards I have at present but also not be wasting money. 

Cheers Boss.

I look forward to your thoughts as usual. :thum:

<p>If I can add my tuppence worth, I think the gtx660TI represents very good value for money, i picked up an MSI 3gb , 1063/1166hz card from the internet  for 353 euros and am very happy with it.</p>
<p>but beware there are many different cards available with different clock speeds and memory do your homework before putting your hand in your pocket. I looked at many on Ebay as well as better known shops but</p>
<p>I bought mine from Amazon because they are competitive price wise offer excellent no bull delivery and a cast iron returns policy, there were a few suppliers on ebay who may have been 10 or 20 euros cheaper, but fly by nights working out of a garage.check out this vid</p>
<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...

the interesting thing about upgrading is that you dont see an awful amount of difference when you use the new system however after using the system for a while if you go back to your old system as i did this afternoon

BOY do you see a difference  ! you wonder how you managed with such a cronky old system and that was a core duo 7250 with gtx 460 and 16gb memory

In my post i added a link to an overclocked bundle i had seen but i am thinking of just getting the CPU and Motherboard only for now

I have seen the Intel Core i7 3820 priced at £226.98 brand new and retail version

The Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 motherboard brand new and sealed priced at £119.00

So that is a good bit cheaper than the OC'd bundle and i will be able to use my existing RAM for now as well.

After trawling the net i think these are good prices.

Thinking of getting this as my current hardware is quite old now, I suspect it should be more than adequate to run FSX and XP10 me thinks. http://www.overclock...tid=2384=

Looks very good and socket 2011 has a good bit of life left in it yet, the forthcoming Ivy Bridge E's will be socket 2011 compatible with a BIOS update.

As well as the set up in my sig I have an I7 2600K overclocked bundle but from Scan Computers UK, the nice bit about buying an overclocked bundle is that they cherry pick the CPU and run it over night to make sure it can handle the overclock (not all CPU's of the same type are equal) and guarantee it too.

The build before that was an overclocked bundle from OcUK of an I7 920 @ 4GHz and it never missed a beat, just make sure OcUK supply you with the Arctic Silver as they forgot to include it in my bundle and as the parts arrived on a Friday afternoon I had to wait a while for a tube of AS to be sent.

I'd actually put Scan ahead of OcUK for the overclocked bundles, the

report they did on the overnight stress testing of my 3960X @ 4.6GHz was

pretty comprehensive.

Hi Brian, if you can hold out until the GTX 780 series inevitably arrive I can flog you my GTX 680 2GB ... not sure when the 780's are due though?

Hi Brian, if you can hold out until the GTX 780 series inevitably arrive I can flog you my GTX 680 2GB ... not sure when the 780's are due though?

Hi Colin,

I hope you made good use of your sabatical. Nice to see you back.

I will indeed hold out. Cheers.

Brian, you can definitely have first offer on my GTX680 2GB when I upgrade, we've done good reliable business before, no worries mate :thum:

BTW the next gen of Nvidea 7** cards seem not to far away, only had a quick look and it will take me a while to digest what's going on, so I might not be upgrading my 680 in the very near future after all?

If you do see something you like don't wait for me is what I'm saying :cool:

This is what I'm seeing on the new Nvidea cards so far.

Lots to read on this thread ... http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18485454  Beware some of the links are dead as admin's find NDA is breached.

And this seems to be the gist of it ... No Maxwell until 2014 and Maxwell might be the one to wait a year for ... but 780's soon ... I dunno?

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/25536/nvidia_roadmap_maxwell_only_in_2014_no_780_before_march_2013_likely/index.html

I'll report back once the dust has settled.

I have just been and collected my new hardware from Scan Computers as they are very local to me.

I opted for this mobo

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z77-mpower-intel-z77-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-raid-pcie-30-dport-hdmi-atx

I decided on the Ivybridge Core i5 3570k

Very Nice mate ... Enjoy :thum:

Thanks I will enjoy, I have also treated myself to 8gig of this new and highly regarded Samsung Green ram which will complement my new build as this ram has great overclocking potential

This ram

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-017-SA

I am having terrible problems with my new hardware. I decided to format all my drives and do a fresh install and all went well but I cannot install the Nvidia drivers as this always fails. Also the is no "display adapter" shown in device manager. I have tried the other slots but still nothing. Any ideas what could be wrong??

I did of course install everything off the DVD that came with the motherboard so all is well there. I have been told that my old DDR3 1333mhz ram might be conflicting with the VGA ram so I have some of this new Samsung Green 1600mhz on it's way to me so will try that.

Hi Phil, sorry to hear of your troubles ... obviously the card must be working (at least partially) or you would not see what to do to even try install the OS and drivers!

A few thoughts here that may be of help ...

1: Do you see a sort of exclamation mark (yellow triangle) in Device Manager or question mark?, does the card show up in Device Manager booting into safe mode?

2: Do you perhaps have some sort of on-board graphics that could be disabled in the BIOS that might be causing a conflict?

3: As regards a fresh install I always install the OS first, then latest chipset drivers from the board manufacturers website (might be worthwhile flashing to latest BIOS too) the drivers on a CD are often out of date, then I would install my graphic card driver as administrator if you have not disabled UAC already.

4: There was an occasion recently that someone on the Nvidia website had set the 32 bit drivers for the 64 bit link and vice-versa and obviously they would not install until the error was found,and corrected, make sure you are trying to install 64 bit drivers for a 64 bit OS or 32 bit for a 32 drivers bit OS ... I think the Nvidia site has a detect hardware option, maybe try that?

5: by pure coincidence my email this morning tells me that the very latest Nvidia 314.07 WHQL drivers for Win 7/Win 8 are now available, maybe try them.

If the above fails you could try installing the OS critical updates at the very least as well as the latest board chipset drivers then try your graphic card drivers after the computer has re-started.

I'm sure your graphic card is probably OK but as a process of elimination is it possible to test it in another PC to make sure?

Hope you get it sorted, nothing worse when this happens with a new build.

Thanks for the reply M31. I got my new Samsung Green memory today and tried it again. Firstly I noticed a display adapter in device manager and the tried installing the Nvidia driver this time with success. I can only think that my old DDR3 1333mhz ram was not fully compatible causing some kind of conflict.

Now I can get all the windows updates done and latest mobo drivers installed then get my flight sims back in.

I forgot to mention that I used the integrated graphics that the i5 3770k provided so I could at least try and work with it. I did try safe mode too.

With my old memory there was no display adapter being shown in device manager which is very strange. If this new memory had not made any difference I would have fitted my old GTX295 and see what would have happened then.

Just been having a play with the overclock genie that this new motherboard feature. It only took a few clicks to OC my CPU to 4.2Ghz and overclocked my memory to 1800mhz. Will leave it at this for now to see how stable the system is. CPU temperature seems fine with an idle temp of 32 degrees thanks to the Corsair H80 liquid CPU cooler.

Can't wait to get FSX and X-Plane 10 installed to evaluate the difference.