MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 Switzerland Due Out Next Week!

MegaSceneryEarth 2.0, the world's largest photoreal scenery project for Microsoft Flight Simulator in history has succeeded in producing photoreal scenery for the entire Continental USA + Hawaii area in under one calendar year. This represents close to 10 million square kilometres of UNIQUE photoreal scenery.

Now the MegaSceneryEarth project is spreading its wings to other parts of the globe to deliver the photoreal scenery experience to a wider audience.

MSE2-Box-Switzerland2.jpg

Expected to be released next week is MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 Switzerland.
Covering the full country, this package will feature high-resolution 50cm/pixel photoscenery for the 15,940 Square Miles of Switzerland!

MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 Switzerland will be offered as a download product, utilising the super-fast MSE servers for rapid product delivery, or with the option of backup DVD mailed to you for a small additional cost.

We will release more details shortly, but in the meantime, here are some screenshots taken direct from the MSE 2.0 Switzerland package using the "V" key (i.e. unedited except to add image information). Images show default mesh with REX clouds.

MSE-Switzerland1.jpg

MSE-Switzerland2.jpg

MSE-Switzerland4.jpg

MSE-Switzerland5.jpg

MSE-Switzerland8.jpg

MSE-Switzerland9.jpg

MSE-Switzerland12.jpg

Stay tuned for more information here at the forums, and look out for the scenery release early to mid next week!

Now we are talking, Europe!  London - Zurich here we come.

Thank you Dean..  :)

Oh yes, There might just be a lot more of Europe coming soon too :)

I'm testing the next MSE 2.0 country tonight (the one to be released after Switzerland).

All I will say at this stage is that it is in Europe as well...

I am sure the OSM data is available... It could possibly be done, but you have to then remember that OSM data is limited to a small variety of data. Take "trees" for example (or forests/green areas or however OSM data classifies that). You would assign a tree model for the autogen based on that data. There is less scope for variety of trees unless you go in and manually changed all the tree areas and assigned or created a different data set to use for a different variety of tree. I am sure it could be done, but it would need a LOT of tweaking and mucking around I would imagine to get something looking realistic.

Also have to remember that autogen objects cover up a lot of the ground textures, so you lose the natural variety of the "real world" because it is being covered over with generic trees that are repeated.

The upside is that photoreal packages like this are generally compatible with almost all other scenery and airport addons out there :)

I don't know about Europe, but years ago I found an open source directory of woodland and forest for the UK which classified their trees by species composition. Theoretically if data was available you could create vegetation groupings to match those, then split an OSM vegetation shape file down to match the specific groups and hey presto pretty realistic autogen vegetation? I even found tree species location data by 1km square or the UK sure again theoretically it would've possible to match that up and get actual specific and correct autogen species :) Purely theoretically of course, prob too much faffing for anyone to really do properly, and it only addresses autogen vegetation, not buildings, which is a whole different ball game :P

Yes if the data was split for vegetation types, that would make life MUCH easier, but still a daunting task nonetheless. You then need to create accurate tree models to represent each vegetaion data type. And yes, the same for the buildings. I think in the future when data like this does become more widely available that this could then open up options for a talented developer with the time on their hands to make it a reality.

Being a user of Flylogic's product for many years now. I think I shall be giving the MSE2 version a go and, perhaps, working on a marriage between the two. Just for my own use.

Arnie,

Great to hear. Please keep us updated on your progress once you get started :)