P3D v2.0 to be released this month.

I will need a decent replacement for my Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang (in other words, another detailed light jet with a Garmin G1000 that can operate in and out of small airfields). I have also been told that use of any PMDG products in P3D is not allowed, although I am quite sure that many people will be using them if they can get them to work properly...

...reading on the P3D website that v2.0 is to be released this month...

Just in time for Christmas lists.  Anyone still think these guys don't have one eye on the retail flight sim market?  It may just be a coincidence but this is exactly the timing any good marketing manager (is that an oxymoron?) would strive for.

John

EULAs are kind of a legal grey area, I think.  What is legally enforcable in some places may not be in others, making it a bit of a minefield for the software vendors. 

From a user perspective, I think most of us feel as if we bought it and therefore we own our copy of it even though that's not a legally precise description of the situation.  We believe we should be able to use what we purchased as we wish, including modifying it for our own purposes if that's within our capability, understanding that doing so voids any warranty, guarantee or legal responsibity of the developer/publisher.  I think most of us also feel we should be able to give it away or sell it (un-modified) to others as long as we do not also continue to use it - one purchase, one owner/user (unless the license permits more). 

Piracy in any form, i.e. making unlicensed copies available to others in any fashion is clearly illegal and most of us probably understand and respect that, though of course there is a sizeable minority who do not.

Obviously modifying and then selling purchased software would constitute an infringement on the intellectual property rights of the developer/publisher and I don't think any good arguement could be made for that. 

I suspect most of us are in some ways in violation of the EULA terms of some of our software, knowingly or inadvertently.  Fortunately, enforcing such things is legally impractical in most cases and the publishers are pretty much forced to either turn a blind eye to it or to try to build self-enforcement features into the software itself. 

John