PC Upgrade Advice please

A long overdue PC upgrade is due very soon and I would really appreciate some not too technical advice from you wonderful folk. :)

For the upgrade I have decided to go to a local independant PC shop who have given us excellent service over the years.

I have taken the following spec from a commercial flight sim PC builder and given it to our supplier who gave me a better price. :D  

Processor   4.5GHz intel core i5 3570K 

Motherboard   Asus P8Z77-V LX USB3

Video Card   Ge Force GTX660 2GB

Memory   8GB DDR3 RAM

Optical drive   24X Sony DVD-RW

Storage 1000GB Hard Disk

OS   Windows 7HP 64bit

Cooler   Akasa Nero 3 cooler

PSU   Cosair 600W

I highlighted the video card as this is my real question. My existing card is a Ge Force GTX650, in discussion with their techie SSDs were mentioned and he suggested that I keep the 650 and instead of getting the 660 get a SSD dedicated to FSX.

What would your advice be 660 or SSD?

Thanks,

You'll notice the loading times are vastly reduced with an SSD, though most people reckon it doesn't improve FPS that much...

As for graphics card, haven't a clue :) But both are better than mine and I appear to cope plenty well enough!

At the video card look more at what kind of memory it has. If its a 2Gb card, i presume its a DDR3 memory chip card. The ones with DDR5 are better (also more expensive). I don't think that the 660 will give you something extra , especially if your current card is a DDR5 card with 128 bits bus speed.

Personally, I'd go for a GTX 670 Overclocked over the SSD upgrade.

SSD will make initial loading faster, and it can help with rendering photoscenery quicker, but there is zero benefit with SSDs in actual frame rate in FSX. The hard drive just loads everything into memory and then FSX runs it from your system memory, so no frame rate benefit with an SSD, just faster initial load times. This has been tested quite extensively in fact in the past.

With FSX, its CPU first, video card second as the two most important factors.

Thanks for your replies one and all.

Just one last question before I go ahead with this upgrade.

The consensus is to get the best processor, if I keep my existing graphics card GTX650 and not get the GTX 660 2Gb that would save me £170.

Would you recommend I spend that £170 on a better processor?

Thanks.