Need A New Flight Sim

Hi Guys,

I have been out of the flight Sim loop for a little while. I recently re-installed FSX onto my Windows 8 platform, but have run into problems with crash to desk tops & add ons not working correctly etc. I don't think I will ever be able to get the Sim back to the modded & stable state that I played daily on years ago due to the new technology & more advanced PCs now available to me. I am getting the impression that FSX in my opinion has become to old to upkeep and it takes a lot of effort to get it "looking good". I am desperately pinning my hopes on Aerofly FS for being the next big thing although I haven't heard any progress on development for a long time.

Was wondering if others have thought the same?

Also are you aware of any "new" Sims to the party?

Cheers,

Sam.

I have a few questions about Aerofly....

1) Is it still just Switzerland?

2) How many default aircraft does it come with; how many add-on AC are on the market?

3) Does it have traffic, WX, navaids, multiplayer, etc?

4) How many add-on developers are creating products for it?

This thing is not flight simulation in the broad sense that we've come to expect.  It's pretty but it's very, very limited in scope.  What it does it does quite well, but it ignores many things that are inherent in any reasonable model of real world aviation.  If drilling holes in the sky over a beautifully modeled version of Bank-land in magnificent solitude is your thing, this may be for you.  If other aspects of aviation are of interest - well, maybe not.

John

2) How many default aircraft does it come with; how many add-on AC are on the market?

This thing is not flight simulation in the broad sense that we've come to expect. It's pretty but it's very, very limited in scope. What it does it does quite well, but it ignores many things that are inherent in any reasonable model of real world aviation. If drilling holes in the sky over a beautifully modeled version of Bank-land in magnificent solitude is your thing, this may be for you. If other aspects of aviation are of interest - well, maybe not.

John

Hi John,

-Still only Switzerland

-7 default aircraft, 5 add on aircraft at the moment, 2 from Just Flight

-No Traffic, Nav, Multiplayer etc

-1 add on developer at the mo (Just Flight)

The last I heard on it was that the developers were working on a whole new version which was meant to be implementing some of the above such as Nav & traffic. But like I said above no news on this for a while. If they added more simulation aspects to the product - would be incredible.

Cheers,

Sam.

YVW Sam

yes you are correct; I’m running W8.1

follow both the advice David and i gave Alan to start with

use this approach for W8 and W8.1, basically anything W7 and up

So I should uninstall from the C drive and reinstall onto the D drive whilst running as an admin and this should solve the crash to desktop?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

It appears they do have user-defined WX, but are silent on RW WX...

In aerofly FS you can freely select wind speed, wind direction, turbulence,
thermal, fog, visibility and clouds. The density of the cloud cover as well as
its thickness or their lower limit altitude are fully adjustable. The best about
all this: these freely adjustable parameters are directly incorporated into the
simulation. The wind simulation takes even the local geography into
account. Together with the thermal simulation and the turbulence a real
environment is generated within which the aircraft are moving.

This thing is not flight simulation in the broad sense that we've come to expect.  It's pretty but it's very, very limited in scope.  What it does it does quite well, but it ignores many things that are inherent in any reasonable model of real world aviation.  If drilling holes in the sky over a beautifully modeled version of Bank-land in magnificent solitude is your thing, this may be for you.  If other aspects of aviation are of interest - well, maybe not.

John

I offered to do a review of aerofly for mutleys, as I think it has great potential, however I was informed it was not considered sufficiently meritorious to warrant a review.

not sure if it’s feasible for you

that would be a recommended start strategy

Hi Chris,

I don't think installing on another drive will work for me as I don't think I have one! :P Do you have any other recommendations ?

Cheers, Sam.

This thing is not flight simulation in the broad sense that we've come to expect. It's pretty but it's very, very limited in scope. What it does it does quite well, but it ignores many things that are inherent in any reasonable model of real world aviation. If drilling holes in the sky over a beautifully modeled version of Bank-land in magnificent solitude is your thing, this may be for you. If other aspects of aviation are of interest - well, maybe not.

John

I offered to do a review of aerofly for mutleys, as I think it has great potential, however I was informed it was not considered sufficiently meritorious to warrant a review.

Maybe if / when this "new version" becomes available it would be worthy of a review. Like you say it has large potential it just needs pushing in the right direction!! We don't want another Microsoft Flight :P

Cheers,

Sam.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have managed to get FSX running smoothly again on Windows 8.1! Here is how:

1) I tried a simple trick of creating a new .txt file and saving it in the FSX root folder. I then renamed the .txt file to UIautomationcore.dll in attempt to trick the simulator that the file was there even though it was a fake - apparently that is how this thing works?! This did in fact work for a short period of time but again the Sim began crashing consistently.

2) After browsing the net for a very long time I stumbled across the a forum post on flightsim.com (linked below) which provided another possible fix. Following their instructions I downloaded an older version of the UIautomationcore.dll (Version: 6.0.6001.18000 ) and saved it in the FSX Root folder and this seems to have done the trick, I haven't had any crashes since changing this.

See Link Here For More Info:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?272452-FSX-crashes-on-Windows-8-1-New-user-needs-help

I hope this may prove beneficial for those who may have a similar problem as I did.

Cheers,

Sam. :cool: