Looking good Chris... obvious question... when?

I seem to recall that you mentioned that you were experimenting with something different with France. Is this correct?  - Or am I getting confused again?   

you are correch John; i have mentioned we are expiramenting with France
hence the title - Work in progress Preview :)

this isnt a release announcment

just shring some of the progress the team have made with the region so far

there is an open disscussion over at the french forum Pilote-Virtuel

http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=61788

I have read the french forum with interest.

Where as I agree with the fact that many rural roads including motorways are not lit at night, it is also wrong to say you cannot see them.  This is because of the weight of traffic that passes along them at night.

I suppose that the ideal solution would be to not have a street light effect on rural roads (which, I imagine would help performance), but to have traffic generated lights.  These lights would not have to move, but would have to do the following;

• Be red when viewed from one angle and white from another
  • Lights should be coloured such the the road has red lights on one side and white on the other, different sides according to the coverage, (the USA and most of Europe drives on the opposite side of the road to the UK)
  • The density of the lights should diminish from about 11 pm to a low at 4 am and increase until dawn.

I would expect this to be hard to implement, so given the choice of no lights or uniform lights, I would go for having lights as it changes dull night flying that is like a black cat in a coal cellar at night into something truly awesome. 

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time John

technically speaking; its not an issue to turn on road traffic and let the cars do their own thing; when it come to their part in night lighting

generally speaking road traffic will exhaust more resources then static lights

my biggest thing is to find the fine line between reality and functionality inside the sim

which is not always simple as it looks to achieve; it’s an interesting process i enjoy taking part of

Thanks for the insight Chris.  

Personally I hope that France is released with the same configuration as those areas that you have already on the market.  I like to see the roads laid out wherever I am.  If the experiment is to be part of the release, then please let it be an option and not a fixed feature.

you're very welcome John

we don’t look at this as an experiment
we give it our full attention; in fact more than any other region so far

i am only overseeing the process making sure its doesn’t deviate from NE's general guidelines
the guys from the French team working on this are top notch; i don’t need to explain much
they have complete freedom to express their vision of France

it was very important for them to utilize a buffer method i don’t usually run for other regions
this thins out the roads and in some cases brakes them
in order to achieve a more realistic sparse view in some areas
the early results weren’t very pleasing
i received an update this morning which I’m very pleased with

in general, not all NE are rendered the same
each area differs from the other

for example; the grid being prepared for France wouldn’t work for California's road network

• 2 weeks later...

I have just purchased NE BeNLux, and am now waiting for France.....  Any chance of a tiny weenie little clue when this will be coming?

Go on Chris, I wont tell anyone, you can trust me......

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...