Just after 11.00 am today I heard an airliner flying low overhead. Now we do get them over Hastings airspace but always above 10,000ft and en route to the London terminals.

So I got onto Flightradar24.com and there was a Thomas Cook 757 Reg G-JAMB circling Hastings at 5,800 ft doing 210 kts, it went round at least twice. It had flown from Gatwick en route to Hupghada in Egypt, it got as far as Liege in Belgium and turned back taking a long route over the English Channel to the Thames Estuary probably to dump fuel. It then headed towards Gatwick and then Hastings.

I'm assuming that they had to dump more fuel and thought that Hastings was better than the more affluent areas of East Sussex. It then headed off towards Gatwick where hopefully it made a safe landing.

Unfortunately I couldn't get a visual on it as the sun was too low and too bright on this glorious sunny day.

Whatever the problem was, I hope it was nothing serious.

UPDATE: According to BBC South East an escape chute fell off/out of the plane over the E Sussex/Kent border soon after take off and has yet to be found. The plane landed safely at Gatwick and no one was hurt.

Who says nothing exciting ever happens in Hastingzzz