Airspace Depiction

As most of you know, FSX shipped with a lot of complex airspace data as default. Unfortunately, it was stuck in time in 2005 and is now massively out of date.

While trying to solve a problem I was having with VoxATC, I started playing around with the airspace definitions, which has grown into a project to replace much of the old airspace data with new up to date information straight out of the current UK AIP.

I have created an excel spreadsheet that automatically creates correct compilable xml code just by cutting and pasting text in from the AIP :)

With this, I have updated all the ENR2.2 class A airspace, all the ENR3 aerodrome airspace and MATZ zones. I am currently putting in the altimeter setting regions and the next stop after that will be to update all the restricted, danger and prohibited airspace.

Once the bgl files are in an active scenery folder they work within FSX/P3D, and show in Plan G quite well. Will be useful for anyone flying in Vatsim particularly or who just wants a bigger degree of realism in their flying....

Would anyone find it useful?

K

That's a pretty impressive feat, Kevin. I'm impressed. Have been considering biting off something similar with terminal waypoints. Enroute waypoints are a piece of cake but the terminal waypoints are embedded in the airport bgls and will require editing them and making add-on bgls to replace the stock airports.

Anyway, your project sounds half past formidable. Well done.

John

Thanks John, I was going to PM you regarding updating waypoints and related airways as well.

Everything I've read and researched so far says "far too difficult". Herve Sors produces an updated navaids/waypoints package, but hasnt touched airways at all and states that using his package may lead to sim CTDs and AI failure.

I imagine that the network of airways is defined by having each ISEC waypoint act as a node and attached to it is a list of airways it serves and the next waypoint each airway links to. For airways to work each node would need to link into the same defined airway coded into the destination waypoint? Hence if you delete or move a waypoint, it breaks the link, the airway isnt recognised and you get a CTD or AI failure?

I hypothesise that if you know the airway you want to change and the relevant ISEC waypoints, you could alter the airway definitions to make or break the relevant links. Definitely a PITA on an automated whole world level but theoretically possible?

My problem to start with is I cant find anywhere that says which bgls the airway data is in...do you have any ideas please? :P

Thanks K

I found airways once in a bgl I de-compiled but don't remember where. It's as you surmise, with, as I recall, "NEXT" and/or "PREVIOUS" flags and such. I'll do some digging and see what I can find.

John

Kevin,

Just a sniff.  I found these entries in the file propflightplan.xml in the FSX SDK.  Not what we're looking for yet.

John        

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

<PropertyDef

id          = "{F3A6EDEB-8EF0-4407-B424-714293C3EF8B}"

name        = "ATCAirway"

type = "TEXT"

descr       = "ATC Airway ID">

</PropertyDef>

<SetDef

id          = "{1A105D11-3756-49d8-8B6E-060362612B4F}"

name        = "ATCWaypoint"

policy      = "inclusive"

descr       = "More complex waypoint used by Air Traffic Control and in flight plans">

<property name = "ICAO"/>

<property name = "id"/>

<property name = "Descr"/>

<property name = "ATCWaypointType"/>

<property name = "WorldPosition"/>

<property name = "ATCAirway"/>

</SetDef>

<PropertyDef

id          = "{EF8D0096-455C-4413-857E-4ACB13A1A605}"

name        = "RouteType"

type = "ENUM"

descr       = "direct, VOR, low-alt or hi-alt airways"

default = "direct">

<EnumDef symbolprefix="SIMPROP_ROUTETYPE">

<EnumVal 

name = "DIRECT" 

xml_name = "Direct"/>

<EnumVal 

name = "VOR" 

xml_name = "VOR"/>

<EnumVal 

name = "LOWALT" 

xml_name = "LowAlt"/>

<EnumVal 

name = "HIGHALT" 

xml_name = "HighAlt"/>

</EnumDef>

</PropertyDef>

Kevin,

Will this improved airspace file correct the "Center" areas across the UK?

That's a distinct possibility Chris, I am just figuring out what exactly the 'center' areas are supposed to be.  Am I right in thinking they are the FIR's? K

In the US, the Centers are pretty much synonymous with the FIRs in Europe, I think.  They consist of one ARTCC and some number of satellite sites, remote radars and relay sites per Center.  Each "owns" a well-defined geographical region of airspace and hand-offs from Center to Center for enroute flights occur at the boundaries of the regions.  Some of the coastal Centers control airspace far out over the oceans.  To give an idea of their size, there are 21 for the whole US.

As an example, an after-hours (after the tower is closed in the evening) instrument approach into our local airport, KOCF, is controlled by an approach controller in Jacksonville Center (Jax center) up in Hilliard, Florida, well over a hundred miles away.  He's communicating with aircraft locally over a repeater and antenna that are somewhere local.  

Aircraft shooting the approach at Ocala talk to him, are cleared for the approach by him and talk to him again if they go missed.  Ditto after hours departures, who talk to him once they get high enough to be seen on his radar, which is probably also not at Hilliard, but I don't know where that is located.  That kind of thing happens broadly all over each Center's area of responsibility.

John

Here's a snapshot of what's done so far from the current UK AIP.  Most of the air traffic services airspace contained in ENR2.  All aerodrome data contained in part 3.  MATZ information.  Altimeter setting regions.

To be included next are all the navigation warnings in ENR5, comprising prohibited, restricted and danger areas, military exercise areas, air navigation obstacles, aerial sporting activities and bird migration areas :) K

UKairspace_zps62f30cd2.jpg~original

Kevin,

I notice that I never get the option for "flight following" when in the Republic of Ireland. Is this something that can be changed with this updated airspace classification, or is that a completetely separate issue?

Short answer Chris, I have no idea!  If you could more closely describe what circumstances you are referring to I might be able to understand what it is you get in some places but not others, and what it is you want to happen?

Cheers K

Throughout the UK, when I am transferred from tower to approach control, one of the options offered is "flight following". This effectively monitors my progress, and transfers me to different approach zones as I pass through them. However, I do not get this option at all at any of the airports in the Republic of Ireland. The only similar option is to "request permission to fly through Charlie airspace" (whatever that is). Maybe the airspace is monitored differently over Ireland?

Kevin,

Will this improved airspace file correct the "Center" areas across the UK?

Chris, I have found where the default center airspace data is now and can see that each FIR is broken down into sectors each of which has a com freq specified.

For example, EGHQ Newquay is in sector EGTT0847, which specifies <Com frequency="118.7750" type="CENTER" name="MANCHESTER"/>, hence why you get asked to contact Manchester center....

What we need to do is get this data more accurate, which is relatively easy, what I don't know is how the sim will respond to it, as I never use the default ATC and have no idea how its logic works (I suspect it will be based on US procedures which of course aren't directly applicable to us - solution, get something like VOXATC!)

Anyway, FIR airspace is divided between class G (surface to FL195) and class C (between FL195 and FL245).  I can create 2 airspace boundaries to simulate this easily, and associate an accurate comms freq as well.  What I may need to do in addition is to remove the default center sectors, or at least amend their comms data.

Getting this right will be a bit of trial and error, are you up for it? :) K

Chris, I've amended the default center data using the file you sent. I found another bug in the bgl compiler and sorted a workaround now. I've replaced the center data with UK FIR region data and divided it into class G and class A. Now you shouldnt get any reference to manchester center!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

New updated files available from www.flightsimscenery.BlogSpot.com - Direct link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqfeu782qn9s3qk/Uk%20Airspace%20Update%20230715.rar?dl=0

Changes:

AERODROME TRAFFIC ZONES (ATZ)
Effective: 25/06/2015
Details:AERODROME TRAFFIC ZONES (ATZ)
Coningsby - delete 120.800, insert 124.675

SYERSTON
Effective: 30/04/2015
Details:SYERSTON
Change frequency for glider site at 530124N 0005442W from 125.425 MHz to 128.525 MHz.

AERODROME TRAFFIC ZONES (ATZ)
Details:AERODROME TRAFFIC ZONES (ATZ)
Remove Wyton ATZ.

SHOBDON (EGBS)
Effective: 23/07/2015
Details:SHOBDON (EGBS)
A/G service to be removed. Amend entry in ATZ list in Legend to read "SHOBDON (EGBS)..... AFIS 123.500".

WITTERING (EGXT)
Effective: 23/07/2015
Details:WITTERING (EGXT)
Change frequency for military aerodrome at 523645N 0002836W from 125.525 to 119.675.

ATS ROUTE N42
Details:ATS ROUTE N42
Lower limit of airway raised to FL145 along whole length.

ATS ROUTE L175
Effective: 28/05/2015
Details:ATS ROUTE L175
L175 is to be redesignated as P2.

IRELAND
Effective: 28/05/2015
Details:IRELAND
ATS ROUTE L175
Lower ATS route L175 will be renamed P2.