Atc announcements in FSX

There are some tricks that can be done with Edit Voice Pack but I believe it's mostly for call signs. If anyone knows how to do it, the guys at the FSDeveloper.com forum would.

John

EDIT:

There's a YouTube tutorial here. It's pretty dated but should give you a general idea what's possible.

JDA

• Like 1

I have used edit vioce pack with some sucess. It is limited though as it it allows you to link existing sound bytes together in the hope that you can create something that sounds a bit like what you want. I found it hard work though.

As John suggests, I think FS and Edit Voice Pack both work by stitching together sound bites, so if ATC is to say, "Bonny Air 573, turn left heading 170 and descend and maintain 5'000", the audio is a serial stream of wav files that say "Bonny Air", "Five", "Seventy", "Three", "turn", "left"... etc. etc. etc.

I've never tried to do it but I understand great care (and much trial and error) is needed in creating the requisite wav files so that the beginnings, endings, inflections, tones, volumes, pauses, etc. are natural sounding when strung together.

It can be done but I get the impression it's a quicksand bog best attempted only by retirees who live in the Highlands and who have an ample supply of single malt lubricant and an understanding spouse.

John

Thanks for your thoughts Guys, much appreciated but it's not for me.

My son who is in Cyprus on a six month tour with the RAF has got in to FSX with a friend over there and it's they who want to do what I've asked.

I'm far too busy to be attempting anything like this. Much to your amazement John A. :D

I'm happy with VoxATC ta very much. :D:thum:

This thread has spurred me to take a look at EditVoicePack again.

In a very short time I have been able to create two RAF call-signs: ASCOT (Hercules) and CARBON (Typhoon)

Its a bit trial and error as you do indeed have to snip bits from existing sounds and put them together. As an example, I put CARBON together using Cardinal and Burbon.  Cardinal was shortened to Car-bon was created from Burbon.

The software allows you to use several cut down phrases to make a new one, or to make a sentence.  If you are making a new single word phrase, then the fewer sound bytes it uses then the better it sounds. You can apply the sound to any or all of the 10 voices FSX provides. In the case of CARBON the two pare construction worked for all voices, so I applied it to all of them.  However ASCOT was harder. Voices 0,1 and 2 all sounded good with a two section creation, but voice 3 didn't work at all. That is OK as the software allows a different composition for each voice if necessary.  I created a three part ASCOT for voice 3, and was able to apply a copy of voice 0's construction or voice 3's construction into all of the other voices.

Its a nice to have piece of software that puts the icing on the cake for your Sim. Great if you have your own Air hauler company for example.  There are so many sound bytes available in FSX you can probably make what you like.

• Like 1

this may be worth a try

http://laap.atc.free.fr/accueil-en.html

check out this video, i do love the guys voice , reminds me of the chef in the muppet show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56X1v_J3pWs#t=11

i record the atc on this site as well

http://www.liveatc.net/

• Like 1

If you do have a go your self then I guess yiu will need the software.  The latest version is payware.  There are older versions available from their site and these seem to be free.

Hi JG,

I managed to download a freeware copy and did indeedie have a go.

It's very fiddly but I managed a fairly decent phrase for me laddie.

Not sure if I need to go that deep in to altering wav files, so I might resign to the back shelf, until I feel the urge again.

As it is currently free I installed LAAP on my small a/c fsx and i have to say it is very good and most engaging I have used the live atc.net site in the past to modify the atc files for the aerosoft airbus which make it that bit more realistic (american accents and clearances dont sound right when flying around europe), the only sad thing is that you cannot get any recorded uk atc because it is against the wireless telegraphy act of 1776 , but you can get irish atc which sounds the part.

I did have a couple of small issues but a quick email was answered almost immediately and a solution given, so hats off to them

many of the airports actually have a live feed and i found it interesting to hear clearances for other a/c just ahead of me as i was taxiing to the hold it is also interesting to watch them on a second moniitor on something like flight  radar  as they fly off with you close behind but obviously not appearing on flight radar, and you can hear them being given the next reporting points as you follow behind. It all adds to the realism of our hobby

...it is against the wireless telegraphy act of 1776...

Wow - it was really amazing foresight on the part of Parliament to pass a law forbidding something that wouldn't be invented for another century or more.  Those guys were awesome!  Good thing for us they weren't so good about running a war.   :cool:

John

• Like 1