The last two pieces! GA Cockpit Soon.

Hello all!

There is some great information on home cockpits in this forum... a lot of stuff to help me with my own build. I've been slowly collecting flight sim hardware over the past years to complete my enclosed 2-person GA cockpit and I'm 2 pieces shy of being done. After I get those two pieces, all that remains are buying the chairs and then the "fun" part of building the frame! 

I do need some help though... the last two pieces, while small and somewhat trivial, are things I'd like to have in the Sim, but I've had a really hard time finding someone who can build them. I myself do not have the mechanical/technical/engineering skills to do it...  :( I wish I did, but just to build this home cockpit is going to take everything I've got, and a lot of help from more construction-minded friends. 

Those two pieces are a physical parking brake (in good ol' Cessna style) and a simple axis lever to use for Carb heat.

I have seen the parking brake from DesktopAviators, but I'm really wanting something that has the full motion... you pull it out, turn it 90 degrees and then let it go and it locks in place. Their model you just pull the lever out less than 1 inch... which, while better than a switch, isn't quite what I"m looking for. Has anyone seen someone do something similar or would be willing to make one for me or provide the plans to do so... ? I could really use some help here, it's over my head to do it.  :(

Example of C172 Parking Brake: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cessna-172N-Handle-Parking-Brake-W-Bracket-P-N-0813150-75/331423051552?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083358%26meid%3Dc288cde9babb4cb2add9e7f9b78a50ed%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D230913290647

As far as the lever is concerned, I wouldn't think that would be too hard but I've had a hard time just finding a sliding lever. Again, if anyone knows where I could purchase one or have specific plans to make one that they'd be willing to share, or even would make one for me, I would really appreciate it.

These are the last two pieces before I begin the full project... I spent half my weekend measuring, taking notes, sketching and pulling reference images to finalize things and am working on finding places in the city that I live that could cut the MIP out for me (doing a two-layer plywood + aluminum, so to have both cuts match and be exact to the instrument I'm thinking it may be best to go to a pro  :thum: ).

Just a teaser... it'll be a two-seater GA enclosed cockpit based off of a C172 with a few C182 influences. Primary display will be a 60" HDTV, with a 39" side TV for window viewing. 2 sets of controls, integrated monitor for PFD/GTN750, 5.1 surround sound, leather racing seats... just need these two pieces and (as money allows), I'm off to the races!  :D

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

- Alex

Hi Jacen

When I get a chance I will investigate making the Parking Brake the way you want.

It may be a while but I will definitely have a go.

After our PM I started thinking about how it would work successfully and I believe it's definitely doable.

I'll get back to you when I've had a go.

As for the Carb Heat switch if this is just a simple On/Off switch but utilising a Pull/Push switch, this should be relatively simple to make.

Give me some time and I'll get back to if none of the other cockpit builders or other guys get back to you with ideas.

Hang in there.

Cheers

Brian

PS. I loved all your films. :D

• Like 1

Hey Brian,

Thanks so much for your help! I have a hard time thinking someone hasn't done it before... but Googling hasn't returned anything, sadly. 

For the Carb Heat, it doesn't have to be a full axis, on/off would be fine with me!

I'm hoping to finalize some of the plans this morning then run off to the hardware store to buy some lumber, I'll probably start with the MIP before moving on to the initial frame. 

Once I get going on the project, a new thread will be created with pictures and such detailing what I'm doing.  :thum:

Hi Jacen
When I get a chance I will investigate making the Parking Brake the way you want.
It may be a while but I will definitely have a go.
After our PM I started thinking about how it would work successfully and I believe it's definitely doable.
I'll get back to you when I've had a go.
As for the Carb Heat switch if this is just a simple On/Off switch but utilising a Pull/Push switch, this should be relatively simple to make.
Give me some time and I'll get back to if none of the other cockpit builders or other guys get back to you with ideas.
Hang in there.
Cheers
Brian

PS. I loved all your films. :D

No worries Alex, I'm tied up with various flight sim stuff at the moment but will let you know as soon as I get time to investigate helping you with the two items. The Carb Heat shouldn't be too taxing so please bear with me.

Cheers

Brian

No worries Alex, I'm tied up with various flight sim stuff at the moment but will let you know as soon as I get time to investigate helping you with the two items. The Carb Heat shouldn't be too taxing so please bear with me.

Cheers

Brian

No worries man, I appreciate all of your help! I do have a quick question for you guys...

For cutting the instrument holes in the MIP (I'm using 3/4 - 1.0 inch thick plywood), what is the preferred method? I had planned to clamp it down and use a drill + jigsaw to cut the holes, but there may be a better way.

Way too thick mate. If you're going to be using saitek instruments, I have used only 4mm ply and this is a tad thick.

If you can let me see what the layout for your preferred I struments is going to be, I can advise you better. But you certainly don't need any where near 3/4 -1" timber. Do a rough sketch unless you have a cad design already done and post a pic here so I can see what you're planning.

Cheers.