The first flash of lightning

It seems I am collecting RAF lightnings.  I have an F3 and an F6 English Electric Lightning, and an F35B Lighting in my stable, which leaves this to complete the set:-

p383.jpg

The aircraft AE979 was one of three P38 Lightnings evaluated by the RAF in 1940.  The evaluation concluded that the P38 was not what the RAF was looking for, and the three aircraft were eventually returned to the USA.

This repaint is still a work in progress, I would like to make it look a bit dirtier, but am not sure how to proceed as yet.  The paint kit has no mesh with it and so it is hard to place some items on the various bitmaps and iit is clearly designed for a repaint using a single body colour as the two outer engine and boom images are different bitmaps, but the inside of these parts is the same bitmap repeated.  Thus any detail or camo pattern is identical on each boom and engine's inner side.

Looks great, the reason the RAF rejected them was because the silly sods at the ministry specified them without superchargers as they were deemed unnessacary and too complex. Without the chargers the aircraft did not perform like the American flown aircraft and were deemed useless. Typical British stupidity as usual!