Hello and a little help please...

Hi Everyone,

My names Glenn and im 43, Disabled from Dorset on the south coast of England. Ive been a fan of FSX for many years playing for a time then leaving it then coming back. After various google searches for FSX info i usually choose the answer thats here at Mutley's Hangar so thought i would stop lurking and finally sign up ;)

I've gone thru various pieces of pc sim flight equipment starting originally many years ago with a CH Flight Yoke (no pedals) then more recently a Saitek Cessna Pro Flight Yoke & pedals (sold as due to my disability as i struggled to use the pedals) and now use a Saitek X53 Flight Controller System (the grey one) and absolutely love it.

I usually  fly single props and occasionally the lovely Cessna 310 if i want a challenge.

So onto my question......Its now time to step up to the "Big Boys League" and start to learn Long range aircrafts. I would like to buy a boxed bird. My budget is £20 only. I would like a physical manual to read whilst i learn. i would like avoid the Boeings 737, 747's etc so things like SAAB's, L1011 etc are fine BUT and here is the very important thing i require, the plane has to have a working FMC as the reason for my first purchase is to go along with the AirDisplay 2 app i will be buying on my ipad 2 so i can control the FMC on that. Or am i better of buying the apps like iFMS or Virtual CDU?. is there a universal FMC that can be added to any aircraft??

I'd just want to learn and enjoy as im doing it.

So what suggestions do you guys have?

Thank you for all replies i look forward to hearing from you.... Glenn

hi Glenn , welcome to mutleys!

as far as your request to find a suitable a/c with working fms/fmc, whatever,

as you no doubt appreciate with the budget you propose it will be very difficult to fill your requirement unless someone has something that they no longer use and wish to sell

the cheapest a/c from the top of my head with a reasonably working fmc is the captain sim 757 which isnt that bad and the captain sim a/c always look good as well.

that leaves the q400 from majestic or the airbus from aerosoft both in the 40 euro region i prefer personally the airbus because it has "active crew" and RAAS  as well as Atc

however the best of them are the PMDG products

now whether you will find any of these in your budget may be a tall ask

One word of warning though when buying secondhand software some companies Eulas prohibit the sale of their products to a second buyer, this has been made illegal under european law , however some american companies still try to stop sales whether illegal or not. European companies mostly have accepted the judgement but will not after any after market warrantee or help, so if you have a problem you would have to rely on the likes of mutleys to get you out of the pudding :)

I wish you luck in your search

It's hard to find what you're looking for to be honest as it's usually big jets or small props. If you don't want a huge jet but something bigger than the single prop GA's, I'd recommend something like the DC3 or the Dash 8 Q400 (see my signature picture below)

The DC3 wouldn't have an FMC though just so you know. The dash does :)

Goid luck and welcome buddy!

I think JF's BAE-146 has an FMC? I don't use them personally, too many buttons :D

But I had a glance at the Panel folder and it lists:

panel.cfg

panel_FMC.cfg

panel_noFMC.cfg

I presume from that that it can be selected to have one or not???

If so, it is an awesome "Not too heavy" Heavy. 4 engines, fast, hauls quite a bit (35,000lbs or so iirc). Flys great and looks awesome...herky hauler...looks rather military-esque.

Hi guys, 

Thank you all for the response's they have helped me immensely. Fortunately i just sold some model trucks so the budget has increased. Im going to be looking at the Dash 8 and JF's BaE 146 (or the Ultimate 146 Collection) as a starting point. 

Thanks again. Best wishes Glenn

CLS (Commercial Level Simulations) DC-10 is a very nice long range aircraft with a simplified FMC. If you want a fully functional FMC with top quality graphics, I highly recommend the FLIGHT 1 MD Super 80.

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the response's they have helped me immensely. Fortunately i just sold some model trucks so the budget has increased. Im going to be looking at the Dash 8 and JF's BaE 146 (or the Ultimate 146 Collection) as a starting point.

Thanks again. Best wishes Glenn

I have both the dash and the quality wings 146 collection - recommend both 100%