Hi All,

Some strange doings at QuikAire. I'm getting an "aircraft initialization (US spelling) failure" error message when I try to fly one of my AH aircraft. Doesn't happen with AI pilots, only the owner. Maybe they're trying to tell me something.

I recently copied my AH backup files (ahx.mdb, user_details.mdb, and Quikaire-nnnnn.mdb) from my laptop over to my desktop in order to continue flying AH on the desktop after retiring the laptop. All seems to copy over with no issues - pilots and aircraft as well as finances copied without any apparent glitches.

However, when I (the royal "I") try to fly a job (this does not happen with the AI pilots), I get an error that goes something like - "aircraft initialization failure". This happens after cargo and fuel is loaded and I'm about to climb into the cockpit. If I let FSX load, I wind up with an airport and no aircraft.

I've tried to research this on the AH forum with no success.

Usually for me that happens when a livery in my AH hangar has been shut off by my livery manager...previously me adding "xxx" after 'panel' in the .cfg, but now SimStarter livery manager is being used to manage those, but just the other day opened an old comapany and found one I missed...doh, and popped into an invisible aircraft.

The AI's never mention they are flying Wonder Woman planes, sometimes i wonder if they even notice.

Did you update that aircraft recently causing .cfg changes?

AI do not use FS in any way, only personal flown flights. Your error is being generated from FSX. Do you get the same error when you try to fly that AC in FSX without AH running?

John

Thanks John,

No, I'm pretty sure I've identified the problem. 

The AH company was flying a BT-67 and a C-46 on the old system. I'm pretty sure that it is being caused by a mis-naming of the texture file (in aircraft.cfg) which was not carried over. I believe I made the texture in the first iteration of the new desktop. The exercise was a disaster - the new machine would not do the job it was intended for (ship's computer) so got relegated to a lesser role as FSX platform. In the process, some jiggery pokery was performed, switching out SSD's and HDD's with the inherent loss of (what was assumed to be unimportant) data. All supposedly backed up.

There was a company livery for the BT-67, but that has disappeared - no back ups. So I took one of the stock BT-67 liveries and renamed it to (from memory) match the missing livery. I'm pretty sure I've got the name wrong.

Problem is, it is difficult to test. Every time I try a new name I'm faced with the possibility of accepting a job in AH then not being able to fly it. What I've been doing is unloading the non-existent aircraft and assigning the job to my AI pilot to fly with the other aircraft. That's working, but it is slow as the AI pilot is not available until the job is finished and the aircraft returned to the airport where I am.

I'll keep at it and when I've got it solved I'll remove the "Help Wanted" note on this thread.

March,

Start a test company in Easy mode, cash in the Lear, buy the BT, borrow some money from the bank if you need it and experiment there. No need to trash your "Pride and Joy" company for testing.

Haven't heard "jiggery pokery" in a long time.

John

Problem is, it is difficult to test. Every time I try a new name I'm faced with the possibility of accepting a job in AH then not being able to fly it. What I've been doing is unloading the non-existent aircraft and assigning the job to my AI pilot to fly with the other aircraft. That's working, but it is slow as the AI pilot is not available until the job is finished and the aircraft returned to the airport where I am.

Even if you pop out into a Gone Plane...you can always switch to a working model/texture via the FS, and complete the job...AH doesn't care what you fly once it thinks you are in the correct plane and ready to rumble. Might have to redoo the cargo load out, but usually the fuel quantity % remains the same.

Re: the misnamed/missing texture...try importing an existing "known to be working" texture to the Aircraft Manager (delete and re-import one if you had previously imported All the textures), and repaint all your suspect aircraft with the working texture (less expensive than selling and rebuying them), then completely remove the suspect texture from the Aircraft Manager which should (hopefully) clear AH of any of the bad .cfg information.

Thanks Matt & John,

Still working on it. Tonight I used John's suggestion and created a new company, dumped the Lear and leased the BT-67. All went swimmingly - no issues at all. Picked a job, loaded cargo, flew, landed, shut down, offloaded cargo - slice of cake!

Went to my older company, tried the same thing - pooped! AI is flying the job right now.

Here's the plan: When I get the plane back, I'm going to try a repaint. I know the livery works, I've seen it in the temporary company. Why it won't load to the original company is beyond me.

More as things develop - likely tomorrow night.

Looks like that's what's going to have to happen, Eddie.

Attempted this afternoon to repaint - aircraft doesn't even show up on the repaint list - the list is blank. Tested this with the other a/c and it showed up just fine. Gonna be expensive, getting rid of one and re-buying it. I can't tell how much this is going to be because Amanda is loading up in Wellington for a flight back to here (Napier).

She's out there because I decided to release the plane with her flying rather than load the C46 (mistake). You get behind the eight ball on these things because letting the plane go requires that I get a return job to get it back before I can think of selling it.

I might give this one last kick at the cat by going to the AH Forum, but I'm not holding my breath.