Flight Log Book

Is there such a thing as a "simple" flight log book? I'd like to keep some basic records of the flights I undertake, just basic details, times, dates, route etc

I thought about just creating a spreadsheet but didn't want to "reinvent the wheel" if there's something out there.

Google comes up with all kinds of results a lot of which have all sorts of additional stuff I don't want.

Any suggestions?

I don't have an answer to your question but what I did was join a virtual airline - I can do flight club flights or book airline mainstream flights and they're all logged. Also gives purpose again to flying.

Probably not what you want but thought it was worth a mention :)

Well you're right it's not what I was thinking in the context of the question but it is something I've thought about. I fly mainly GA aircraft and I believe there are virtual flight clubs out there. It's probably a bit like VATSIM though, I like the idea of it but it terrifies me for some reason. Not sure why! Probably the thought of messing up I guess.

If I am not mistaken, FSX keeps a record of all of your flights.  All of your flights, aircraft, origin, destination, etc.

Just click on Pilot Records and there you have it!

Richard is correct, FSX shows your flight info in your in-game Pilot Records/LogBook, the data being collected in your C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files/Logbook.BIN file. (a good file to back up regularly)

One thing nice about keeping your own logbook is being able to add other things that personalize the flights like a crazy weather, good or bad landing, sites you saw along the way or even who was traveling with you.

All these fancy addons that we have running on separate screens are pretty cool but when it comes down to it, none of these are with you in the real world when flying. One pre-plans their flight and hops in the plane with a logbook and a kneeboard.

When I first started with FSX I didn't know about all this stuff, using those small pocket spiral notebooks I drew the airport runways along with any VOR/NDB's in the order I would need them. A dotted line would show the direction I was coming from into my destination airport to give me directional orientation. ATC 20nm out would let me know if I need to change direction to line up with the active and a start and end time would also be included to round it out.

I actually still do that once in awhile during rally's for old times sake and to keep track of my waypoint times but normally run PlanG in the background for my map (unmoving) and flight plan and now use a small clipboard as a kneeboard for inflight info. I don't actually use a purchased logbook but put the same information they contain on a printed sheet so I can write bigger. :blahblah::D

I have a few homemade maps in my spiral bound "log book". Mostly of Pacific Islands where there are only a few bases, so I record headings, distance to, Airport runway length and headings just for reference... Helps a lot for rapid hauling. I may have to get myself a fresh clean Spiral Bound log book, I like your idea of logging notable waypoints and interesting airfields for future scrutiny while sightseeing during a long trip. I keep losing all the post-its with those notes on them. :)

• 2 weeks later...

After reading Brett's suggestion I also decided to purchase an ASA Pilot Log to complete manually. At the risk of showing my complete ignorance can someone tell how to fill in the log? Well at least some of it!

Aircraft, make, model, ID, departure from to etc all fine (even I worked that out) :P

The next part aircraft category what gets entered in the box for SEL or MEL - simply a tick?

Same for piloting time and Conditions of Flight - tick?

Apologies in advance :unsure:

This is a copy/paste of what's in my info folder; :)

Date: 1-27 (the year is usually located in the column header)

Aircraft Type: “C172″

Aircraft Ident: “N*****”

To: MGY (aircraft identification code arrived)

Remarks and Endorsements: (Slow Flight, Stalls, X-wind landings. CFI Signature. CFI Certificate and Expiration Date, beautiful day)

NR LDG: Number of Landings “2”

Aircraft Single Engine Land: “1.2” This is where the flight time is recorded by aircraft class. If it was a multi-engine airplane, the the flight time would be entered under Multi-Engine Land or other appropriate columns.

Dual Received: “1.2” The flight time spent with an instructor

Total Duration of Flight: “1.2” The flight time is recorded here as well

You won't need instructor time because your an ace and you can of course use " for seqentionally the same entries. :)