I was playing around with the concept of leasing some big iron for one of my AH companies. I always try out the aircraft myself before leasing/purchasing as I may have to fly it at some point. I was looking at the 747, specifically the default FSX one.

So I loaded up one of the default 747's, read the manual, kicked the tires and lit the fires. Takeoff went well, but I couldn't find the COURSE selection knobby. Yeah, yeah, there's a HDG box on the AP, but regardless of whether the mode selector is in GPS or NAV, twisting this results in the HDG BUG rotating. 

When tuned to a localizer, I cannot get the CDI to move. It seems to be stuck on 340 degrees. It still works fine: when I'm lined up on the runway the CDI is centred as well as the telltales on the Flight Director and the VOR display (or whatever the big boys call that little TV screen). 

Here's a shot on short final for 26L at CYVR

i-Hssp65q-L.jpg

Note the heading bug matches the numbers dialed into the HDG box, but check out the CDI - 340 degrees??? Needle is nicely centred, though.

I've been over this thing fifty times and I'll be damned if I can find a way to move that CDI.

Maybe it just doesn't model that.

Landing went off without a hitch, actually quite a nice Autoland. The pic doesn't show it but I hit the APPROACH button when the GS came up, cancelling out the NAV and ALT HOLD lights.

I guess I don't need the indication, but it sure would be easier on the mind if these things lined up. Any one know where the knobby is?

EDIT: Found a couple of cockpit improvement files on AVSIM.

Now it all works and I'm ready to lease one of these babies for my AH company. Stand back! The money will be rolling in soon!

Hey Brett, Brilliant! Works just fine.

As I remarked, above, it doesn't seem to matter as the needle centres on the localizer despite the fact that the depiction is for the wrong COURSE. Just messes with my head is all. In the 737 sim (PMDG or Default) you get a separate window on the MCP labelled "COURSE" (DOH!). It might have to do with differences between the Honeywell and Collins AP's. However, I'm not RW familiar with either. 

Thanks again,