Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog — extension arm available (and mini-mini review)

If you have a 'hog, you may be interested to hear that an "extension mod" is now available which increases the length of the joystick arm and hence the precision of the unit. To quote from the web page:

"The goal of this modification is to enhance experience of using TM Warthog HOTAS™. Introduction of the longer joystick arm ensures full usage of joystick excellent precision. Longer joystick throw comes with several benefits which among others include:
  • Increased precision during manoeuvres, in particular, fine adjustments (when flying in formation or during aerial refuelling)
  • Eliminates the need for joystick’s curvature in settings
  • Lessens the effect of “snapping to center position” when moving the stick through/or close to/ central detent. 
  • Smaller stick’s centering force
  • Extension allows installing the joystick in off-center (twisted) position. It is useful feature when joystick is placed between legs. It allows the user to rest hand more naturally on the joystick and decrease tension in wrist."

The slightly less good news is that they are currently out of stock, although more is apparently expected soon:

"Extension is available in three lengths:

1. 80 mm  ~ 3.15 inches [restocking in progress]
  2. 100 mm ~3.94 inches [restocking in progress]
  3. 120 mm ~4.72 inches [restocking in progress]
* every extension includes cable and comes as a set. 

Update (20.08.2015): More stock in expected after 01 Sep 2015"

The price for the metal extension piece and accompanying cable is £40.

For more details, see https://sites.google.com/site/warthogextension/home

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

• 1 month later...

Further to the above, I can now confirm that the extension mod works extremely well, and adds a significant degree of additional refinement even to the smooth operation of the unmodified 'hog.

Perhaps owing to the fact that they were apparently mentioned in PC Pilot, the extension pieces have been in somewhat short supply, so all you can do is watch the web site and dive in quickly when they are once again offered for sale. It would appear also that the shorter sizes are the most popular, selling out faster than the longest (120 mm) version.

I placed my order on Sunday, and soon received a courteous email (yes, at the weekend!) telling me that it would be posted to me on Monday; followed by another mail the following day confirming that it had been posted and giving me the tracking information. Amazingly good service! I received it this morning (Tuesday) via signed-for mail, and well protected in layers of bubblewrap.

On unwrapping it I was immediately impressed by its weight and its quality. I'm no metallurgist, but it would appear to be turned from stainless steel or something similar, and is beautifully made, complementing the heavy metal feel and appearance of the 'hog admirably.

In view of the stern warnings on the website I was slightly nervous when it came to installing the cable, but all was well and it worked first time. (Just the same, I do feel that a couple of close-up pics of the cable connections would be a helpful addition to their existing "how to" text and video, to clarify the orientation at both ends of the cable).

Obviously, I immediately fired up PSX, and after trying various gusty take-offs and landings that I had found to be a little tricky to control with the unmodified 'hog I was absolutely delighted with the improvement in the 'hog's sensitivity and authority. (It was definitely one of those "how have I managed without it until now?" moments).

I had opted for the 100 mm version.... Hang on, and I'll take a quick pic:—

extension-sml_zpsa1o95mvs.jpg

There you go (the extension piece is ringed in yellow).

The difference in the 'throw' of the stick is considerable, and I can totally endorse the maker's claims for —

• Increased precision during manoeuvres, by providing finer and more precise adjustments.
  • Reduced need to counter the stick's tendency to try and return to the centre detent when making small adjustments.

My landings mostly weren't too bad before (honest, guv), but the increased precision afforded by the mod means that they have definitely improved as a result. Hence, if you have a 'hog, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. The service from the vendor is superb, and, as I said, after only an hour or so I'm hooked — I just can't imagine living without it.

So 'hog owners, this is what you have been waiting for! Buy one — your only problem will be deciding on whether to get the 80, 100, or 120 mm version, depending on what's most appropriate for your home 'pit.     ^_^

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

P.S. Here's a link to their installation video, so you can see how easy it is to fit —

B.

• Like 2

Hi Phil!

Having no idea of the answer, I had to resort to Google. ^_^ This showed up the stick only as being available in the U.S., at least, (for a price).

See here: http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-HOTAS-Warthog-Flight-Stick-PC/dp/B00CBVHJ00

(The throttle unit is also available to buy separately, but it's obviously much cheaper to buy them as a pair).

Remember too that the stick is aileron and elevator only (i.e. there's no twist rudder). But high resolution (14-bit, not 8-bit) Hall Effect sensors mean fantastic accuracy and response, with zero spikes. Over to you. :)

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747