What should I upgrade for P3d v3?

Hello,

I'm new to these forums, but not the site itself. I was looking at upgrading from fsx to P3d v3, but would have to inevitably upgrade my system. I was wondering what any if you would upgrade to give a better simming experience? My current rig is below, although I will be adding an SSD shortly.

Cheers,

Kieran

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4690 (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® H81M-PLUS: Micro-ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs

Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 - 2 x DVI, HDMI, - 3D Vision Ready

Power Supply CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY

Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler

Hi Kieran,

Welcome to our forums, it's always good to see new blood here!

If I were you, I would upgrade to P3Dv3 first, it will have less demands on your system than FSX so you may decide to save your money for now.

A lot depends on what software you already have, if you use Orbx's FTX global then they have been updated already.

In any event, upgrades to existing software are still in the early stages so some of your existing software may not be compatible yet.

So get P3Dv3 first and build on that.

Cheers,
Joe

hi Kieran, Joe's advice is solid, but I would expect to have to upgrade your GPU if you want to experience all of P3D's visual loveliness ;)

That may require you to get a power supply with a higher rating I'm afraid, depending on your choice of GPU...

• 3 weeks later...

I had the GTX650 @2gb, I now have the GTX970 @4GB, it hardly breaks into a sweat with P3Dv3, I was checking the other day and it was only on around 25% using ORBX Global/Vector/LC_EU and Aerosofts A320.....

I only have an i5 3570 @3.4 but that copes well to...its all about getting thinks running SMOOTH...

Best of luck..

Wayne