ORBX Release - NA Gold Southern California for FSX and P3D

ORB-112.jpg

From the ORBX Facebook page.

Southern California has been released!

FTX Southern California covers ~140,000 square miles (~365,000 sq km), from the boundary with FTX Northern California south of Monterey to Tijuana in Mexico, and from the Channel Islands to Las Vegas in Nevada and Kingman in Arizona.

Explore a wide variety of landscapes --

the scenic coastlines and offshore islands;

the urban metropolises of Los Angeles, San Diego, and Las Vegas;

the mountains of the Sierra Nevada and the Transverse and Peninsular Ranges;

the vast agricultural areas of the southern Interior Valley and Salton Sea;

the salt flats, dunes, colorful rocks, and military ranges of the Mojave and Colorado Deserts

All of which have been recreated with great detail and accuracy. Hand-placed custom landclass (=land use type) along with the road and railroad networks, powerlines, wind and solar farms, observatories, and major vertical obstructions are included for true-to-life VFR flying. Many key points of interests, urban/industrial as well as natural, are featured with local photoreal coverage that are fully annotated with autogen buildings and vegetation.

Downtown San Diego has been upgraded with 17 landmark buildings and custom models of other important structures throughout FTX SCA include the Hoover Dam east of Las Vegas, half a dozen major bridges, many of the large wind and solar farms, and thirteen lighthouses. Just like with our other region titles we've given each of the 312 (!) listed airports a major upgrade, with more accurate placements of runways and taxiways as well as buildings, hangars, static aircraft, moving people (and creatures), and lots of "clutter". We also added 53 unlisted airstrips that don't exist in FSX/P3D by default.

Last but not least all ground textures are hand-annotated with our custom autogen objects including the spectacular and frame-rate friendly FTX Global-style night lighting.

<grin> Although the download speed is somewhat less than impressive, right now! So I have three downloads running — one each from the UK, Germany, and the U.S. All of their predictions are currently varying between 3 and 9 hours to complete....

Incidentally, if (like me) you are wondering about the impact on your version of KLAX (and perhaps others), here's the answer (courtesy of Holger's post at http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/107874-sca-compatibility-index/ ):

This topic contains the index for all threads relating to compatibility between the Southern California FTX Region and non-Orbx products. Please post here to add threads to the index or pointing out broken links in the index. This topic will remain pinned and periodically updated.

Cheers, Holger

A later question in that thread:

FSDT Los Angeles?

Reply:

I have installed it: i didn't notice any issue.

Er, OK.     :whis:

There were also a few comments about the freeware airports in the region, including:

I believe the devs have already made any necessary adjustments.  The SCA manual seems to imply as much.

...and also...

Yes, just found where it deletes the global freeware versions on install.

Still watching the download speeds fluctuating....    :cool:

Cheers,

bruce
a.k.a. brian747

• Like 1

<grin>  Hopefully, we've got most of the guests out of the way before Christmas — although my daughter is currently homeless on account of Ordeal By Builder, so she and her whole family are doing the rounds and may be descending on us on Boxing Day....     :faint:

Incidentally, two out of the three SoCal downloads arrived in one piece. Eventually. The third one crapped out about half way through (so it was worth taking out the insurance).    :mellow:

Cheers,

B.

• Like 1