Advice needed for repainting aircraft!

Hi guys!

I'd like to create some repaints for the JustFlight Flying Club Warrior of aircraft that are at my local flying club at Biggin (G-BOTI, G-BNXT, G-BTNH or G-BSXA). However I have never repainted an aircraft before (and haven't got a clue how to do it!) so require a little help with how to get started!

Do you need Photoshop to create good quality repaints (I assume so)? Also I assume you need photos of the actual aircraft you wish to paint to use as textures? If so, which sides and how big/closeup do the pictures have to be?

Many thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

You really need a program that uses layers so that you can build the paint up from loads of different components. Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop are the most common payware programs but the latter is extremely expensive.

If you just want to try it out then try Paint.net a freeware program which I think has layers http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

I have a tutorial you can download. It is not written by me but the website I got it from years ago is no longer present. It deals with repainting the POSKY 737-700 but the method is the same.

You can download it here

Also, there is a program you can buy called FS repaint, that is quite good but only allows you to paint over other repaints rather than creating from scratch.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Tom,

Most people use airliners.net or jetphotos.net or airfighter.com to get the real world colours and design. Things like airline logos can be Googled the rest is down to your artistic ability! You can cut and paste anything onto the body like I did with a film WOTW from a couple of years ago. (Sorry about the size)

wotw382.jpg

wotw380.jpg

A bit over the top but good fun to do, it's just a case of experimentation.

You really do need to know your way around the paint program you are using as this is the hardest aspect of the whole thing. Converting the textures for FS use is the easy bit.

I am sure with a little investigation you will get the idea, I see someone on JF has posted a link to Project Opensky that may well be worth looking at too.

Cheers

That's an incredible livery!

I've tried to build a few objects for the freeware train simulator BVE which involves the need for photographs to be used as textures for the object - that's why I was getting confused! I gather from the tutorials now that for FS aircraft you only use photo's for reference, but still paint the livery onto the aircraft yourself. I'll try painting a livery for the Warrior - I'll try and download the time limited demo of Photoshop to do this and see how I get on!

Many thanks,

Tom

You are right Tom the photos are just for reference so the rest is your artistic ability!

You can overlay photographs like I did for the above livery, I got the design from the poster advertising the film.

wotw369.jpg

wotw370.jpg

You seem to be getting the idea now :clap:

Cheers

Tom,

Photoshop is a professional program at a professional price.

Paint Shop Pro will do almost everything Photoshop will do. The latest version is Paint Shop Pro V12, I started on PSP V7 and there's not a lot of difference, you may be able to get it really cheap?

It's the sort of thing you will probably use a lot once you own it!

Cheers

This is the aircraft I want to paint: http://www.abpic.co.uk/popup.php?q=1011130 but it's complicated because the lines aren't straight and the silver stripe is almost pearlescent! How you would paint this?!

The pen tool using bezier curves I would guess? That is quite a difficult livery to do for a first try but it is possible.

Cheers

done a repaint of bsxa not long ago....looks poor if i admit

It's not bad! If I'm sticking to Biggin Hill ones I might do BTNH instead, as it's similar to BSXA but blue. Those two are easier because they have straight stripes, rather than BOTI and BNXT which have 'swirly ribbon markings'!

Have you flown in BSXA or any of the others there by any chance? BSXA is the nicest I think because it has nicer upholstered seats inside. BNXT has a GNS430 on the panel though!

Hi again!

I downloaded a free 30 day trial of Adobe Photoshop CS3, and was having a go at repainting the Flying Club Warrior in the colours of G-BSXA (fairly simple I thought because it consists of a lower red part and a white upper part with a couple of straight red stripes down the side!) I intended to follow the tutorial from the POSKY forum on painting the LVLD 767, but do it for the Warrior. I created textures in Aeropaint, but instead of being plain white, they were still in the colours of the default FC Warrior. Also, it didn't have the layers set up and I'm a bit stuck as to how to work the layers out so the paint just covers the aircraft, but leaves the skin effects (rivets etc) showing. Basically the Paint kit for the Flying Club aircraft is different to that of the Level D one! Can you help please?!

Many thanks.

Hi Tom,

I have never used Aeropaint, have you downloaded the layered paintkit for Photoshop here?-

http://www.justflight.com/faqs.asp?drdP ... #Update302

There should be all the base textures for the Flying Club aircraft.

Then you should roughly be able to use the same principles as they do for the LVLD and POSKY tutorials.

Cheers

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
:clapping:

I love that WOTW paintjob, where you find that one, have you got a link?

Speak Soon

Phil

Hi Phil,

This was a re-paint I made from scratch for the PMDG 737-800 a couple of years ago.

I sourced the graphics from the movie web site.

Sadly I no longer have the re-paint (Or the aircraft) and I didn't upload it anywhere.

Sorry