World Record # of Flights in 24 Hrs.

Airport Breaks World Record for Number of Flights in 24 Hours

"Mumbai [VABB] on Friday handled 969 flights in a 24-hour period, a world record for an airport that operates only one runway at any given point of time..."

That's a little better than one every 1-1/2 minutes average, so probably closer together than that some of the time.  That's really picking them up an putting them down.

y4mmcVK2jOtjCrOI8VOYB0fnHLfjCZ5SkNZkTHWo

y4mbExHDKANylYT5teBX5BYtW1TPQnpdEYHufFrg

John

EDIT: That's a fairly old diagram and predates my inclusion of a list of available approaches (those in the FSX GPS), but the mini-ILS table indicates ILS to three of the four runways, one of those being a Cat. II.  I suspect this record was not set in Cat. II WX.

JDA
22 hours ago, Captain Coffee said:

Day-Am, that sounds busy as fark.

...and Brett said:

Must have been a mad house not only in the tower but in the terminals as well.

India has a population of well over 1 billion, 2nd largest in the world and only marginally behind China.  India also ranks pretty high in population density, mostly behind tiny places like Bermuda, Hong Kong, Singapore, Monaco, Vatican, Malta, etc.  There are a few sizeable places with higher population density like Taiwan, South Korea, Netherlands and Haiti, but not many.

I suspect that the Indian population is pretty accustomed to things, particularly transportation related things, being crowded and congested at the best of times.  They seem to cope with it somehow.  
6 hours ago, allardjd said:
 They seem to cope with it somehow.  

Sitting on top of trains and buses, adding another deck is one (literally poor) way to expand the infrastructure. However with airliners that works much better in the image caption thread than it does in RL.