Missing Argentinian Submarine

Headline: "Hope Dwindling for Missing Argentinian Submarine Which Reported Fire in Last Message"

This sad story has been in the news for a couple of weeks at least.  New info for me in this article is a last message reporting first a snorkel leak which had been dealt with but then a fire from a short circuited battery.  Submarine batteries contain many large cells, connected in a series-parallel arrangement that makes available some pretty high voltage at high current for the propulsion motors and other machinery, so a short circuited DC bus is not small potatoes.  

If fire at sea is bad, a fire on a submerged submarine is your worst nightmare.  If I understand previous news reports correctly, the sub has a buoy that can be deployed and used for satellite phone communications, among other things.  US subs have a "floating antenna" that can be streamed and used for radio communications while submerged - not sure if this boat has that feature or not.

I'll use the last paragraph of the article to justify posting this...

"An unintended consequence of the search effort has been improved relations between Argentina and the United Kingdom.  A Royal Air Force aircraft landed in Argentina with search equipment and life support, making it the first one to land in the country since the Falklands War between the two nations."
  • Like 1

I think there is a common bond between nations when these terrible circumstances occur and especially among seafarers. Against a time factor and the thought of the submariners facing a prolonged death sentence then who would not offer assistance. Unfortunately time has run out for the crew of the sub but the search for wreckage will continue.

As you say John, a sad story.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Wreck found, partially imploded, at about 900 meters depth.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-argentina-submarine/argentine-sub-found-partially-imploded-after-yearlong-search-idUSKCN1NM08B

Submarine implosions normally occur when the stern section folds inward into the forward section, compressing itself along the long axis of the boat.  The rapid compression of the air within causes immediate, extreme heating of the air, as in the cylinder of a diesel engine.  

Spare a thought for the crew and their families.

John

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like an uncontrollable dive to below the subs operating envelope.  It cant have been a nice experience being in the dive but the end, when it came, would have been mercifully quick.