I found this by accident while poking around on Google Earth.  It's on the outskirts of Kansas City, Missouri at an airport 2M1, Truman Regional.  The airport is in FSX and is pretty well represented, but there's no representation of the artifacts there, just the basic airport, taxiways, buildings, etc.

If any of you guys are in the central US and are interested in cockpit-building, this looks like the place to get a cockpit...

Not exactly Davis-Monthan but still a pretty formidable collection of aircraft hulks.

John

y4mLCNkXTb6W8b6x71786i1t3MYd4r7g7hmwUlN7

• Like 1

Good grief! There are some rare birds in there that's for sure. But among the GA there are some Shorts 360s and DHC-7s, Also appears to be a few beech 1900Ds. Looks like many of the aircraft have been there for many years. We have a small boneyard at Goodwood but there only about a dozen airframes at the most in that one.

I cant find the scrapped Harriers  Any better clues as to where they are?

So far I have found:

Aa parked harrier.

Two C130s.

A three engined heavy (DC 10 or similar).

A bunch of small helicopters and light aircraft

A couple of Business Jets

A civil Boeing 737. 

2 Cobras

An Apache

A Bell

A further C130.

15 Ospreys,

11 Jolly Green Giants,

Another unidentifiable atack heilcopter,

An abandoned Harrier

An airframe in two parts (not sure what this is)

And a partridge in a pear tree

But no scrapped Harriers yet.

7 hours ago, dodgy-alan said:

Have a look at the bottom of Yuma International Ariz. Looks like they are scrapping a number of Harriers.

I can't see any of this or what JG tables out at Yuma, either in your linked image above or in GE.  Where are they?

John

2 hours ago, brett said:

would be fun to just have a stroll about but they might frown on that.

Brett, you appear to be wired just like me.  Would love to do that.  I wouldn't touch anything, honest. 

In that climate most of that stuff probably has copperheads living under it anyway.

John

• Like 1
8 hours ago, allardjd said:

I can't see any of this or what JG tables out at Yuma, either in your linked image above or in GE.  Where are they?

John

It's down near the southern end of the runway, a small reddish looking yard.  It's on the south Ordnance loop

epEPbuW.jpg

Edited by dodgy-alan
  • Thanks 1

I saw the above but couldnt see any harriers in the scrap.

The only Harrier I could find was at the 11 o'clock position from the above.  ita another square of red turned grey. if you trace a line at 11 o'clock zoomed in you will find it before you get to the small unnamed road near the outermost  taxiway of the airfield.

On 2/23/2018 at 15:39, J G said:

I saw the above but couldnt see any harriers in the scrap.

The only Harrier I could find was at the 11 o'clock position from the above.  ita another square of red turned grey. if you trace a line at 11 o'clock zoomed in you will find it before you get to the small unnamed road near the outermost  taxiway of the airfield.

2 harrier fuselages around the 4:00 o'clock position and a Harrier wing at about 1:00 o'clock. there also appears to be part of a Harrier Tailplane at the 3:00 o'clock mark.

You have a better eye than I do if you can ID those items as coming from a Harrier.  I can see them but sure wouldn't attempt to ID aircraft type.  You could certainly be right, but couldn't prove it by me.  

Most US types go to Davis-Monthan for eventual scrapping but that doesn't preclude someone buying some military hulks for scrap and wrecking them themselves.  I'm pretty sure that happens but don't have a clue where and by whom.

John

• Like 1

Actually I think the parts you refer to are way to big to be from a harrier.  Compare them is size with the Harrier I pointed out and you will see what I mean.

As for the Harrier I pointed out, given that it is not on a clear breakers yard and its close proximity to the runway, I think it is the shell of a crash rather than a scraped "heathy" Harrier.

• Like 1