Leg 4 - Possible Spoiler Warning....

OK, so you're reading it......

Perhaps I shouldn't have left the flight planning to the co-pilot, but checking back, his plan seems to have matched the official route. Pity he didn't check the Norwegian charts! There we were, trundling along at 7000', when a cliff-face appeared 3 miles ahead of us.  Not sure that it was below our level, I decided to climb, and cleared it, just as a bigger one appeared behind it. At about 8500' we cleared this one by about 400', and carried on up to 9000' to make sure.  A look at the chart confirmed that we were flying over the Jotunheims and THAT had been the summit ridge of Galdhøpiggen, at 8100' Norway's highest mountain...

No, there aren't any screenshots - I was too busy juggling throttles, pitch levers, and the trim wheel, and my co-pilot was jibbering and apparantly trying to use the E6B as a prayer-wheel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the warning John ... I've been a bit worried about flying into stuffed clouds on this one.  I've been erring on the side of altitude too.  We had an old homily in my skydiving group; "The most useless commodity to a skydiver is the amount of sky above you."  Actually, I think that's not at all appropriate ... anyway .... thanks again for the 'heads up' (kind of a pun) ...

On 4/3/2018 at 07:44, brett said:

It does pay to check the Terrain Analysis in PlanG when making your flight plan,;) glad you made it safe and sound.:) 

If you have PlanG ... 'fraid FS9 flightplanner don't have such luxuries ... 'course in Grandma's day she used to fly 20 feet above the backroads so's she could read the signposts ... now that WAS flying ... or maybe that was driving ...

• Haha 1

Great post John.  I refrained from reading until I had completed the flight.  For the vast majority of the flight I couldn't see a thing in front of me.  I was able to get an ominous glimpse of the snow capped mountain peaks passing silently below from time to time.  Very unsettling. 

I've been doing my planning in google earth and after building my route, I ran an elevation profile on the route itself and offset left and right.

I think it was on the final segment that I looked down through the mist and saw windmills turning.  It was an eerie and lonely feeling.

Took me a very long time to find ENFA...  For that I had used Foreflight to get the location at 43 miles on the 034 radial ( I don't have my notes with me, but I think that was it).  Turned out that the airport was further east.  Lots of low, slow circling in the fog over a lot of lake pocked stone.

• Like 1

I flew a Level that was guaranteed for terrain avoidance (or noise abatement - does an aeroplane make a noise when it crashes in a cloud?). But sadly that meant I didn't see the ground from initial climb out until final approach. At all.

On the plus side, I'm racking up the IMC hours, but I needn't have bothered buying the scenery, lol.

• Like 1