Gibraltar airport.

Yesterday I landed at Gibraltar airport for the first time. For me this was an interesting event as this airfield is supposed to be one of the most dangerous airports in Europe. 

The runway is short, with the sea at both ends so any miscalculation is paid for in spades.

I was in an Airbus 320, and our approach was from the east. It looked like we were going to land in the sea, but crossed the threshold just before touchdown and once the wheels were on the ground the air brakes were up and the reverse thrusters were deployed fully for what seemed to be a much longer period than usual. We stopped in time and turned around at the end of the runway to taxi back to the terminal, passing the traffic jam caused by the road closure made for us to land. Yes the main dual carriageway road crosses the runway and the traffic is  stopped when an aircraft uses the runway.

I will post photos and videos later when I am back in the UK. But until then I would recomend that you try a landing ar Gib on your sim, JF do a good add-on to make it that more interesting.

Edited by J G
  • Like 2

nice one, my first ever flight was as a young soldier, we flew from the UK to Gib in the back of a Hercules, I couldn't tell anyone I hadn't flown before and was nervous, didn't see the landing or the runway but have  great memories of the Island........enjoy your stay....

• Like 1

My husband and his family lived in the RAF quarters building at the south east of the runway in the 70s. 

Every day they would watch vulcans and other RAF aircraft depart,  In Gibraltar X (Aerosoft) his old home is modelled too..

One of my favourite add-ons although i've never been there.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, hlminx said:

My husband and his family lived in the RAF quarters building at the south east of the runway in the 70s. 

Every day they would watch vulcans and other RAF aircraft depart,  In Gibraltar X (Aerosoft) his old home is modelled too..

One of my favourite add-ons although i've never been there.

Bet you'll be buying the Just Flight Vulcan when it is released, Steph?  I can't wait....^_^

13 hours ago, Tristarcaptain said:

Bet you'll be buying the Just Flight Vulcan when it is released, Steph?  I can't wait....^_^

I did have an older FSX add on of the vulcan but it doesn't want to load now.. heaven knows why.

My husband was the only one that ever flew it so i might not bother with the JF.. although i reckon it will be a vast improvement on my old one ;-)

Love Gib, spent many happy times on the rock. (Often involving punch-ups between us merchant seamen and the Royal Navy who thought they owned the place!) It's one of my favourite places on the planet.  The Airport is an eye opener for the uninitiated. Landed there many times in the sim as well. 

Taken in the late 70s, that's my ship just to the left of me.  The end of the runway is poking out from the right of the photo.

M4LY7w3.jpg

Edited by dodgy-alan
spelling error
  • Like 2

Nice one Al

Have you been there more recently?

Lance is begging me to go.. i think he wants to check out his old haunts, and the place at the end of RWY09 where he used to go fishing off the end of the rocks at night ;-)

I'd love to go and fly in there just to say i've done it.

Those cross winds have got to be experienced to be believed

I am back from my holidays now and I have to say that Gib. is a special place.  I loved it, Its more British than the UK! Apart from having British Bobby's, helmets and all, the phone boxes, pillar boxes, litter bins, traffic lights etc. etc. are the same. They are fiercely British, and like the Spanish to know it. There are little things that if you look for you will find. For example, on the pillar boxes in the UK there is the royal coat of arms of the monarch reigning when the box was installed. These are painted red, the same as the rest of the box. In Gib. they are picked out in black so you can clearly see them.

Malta has its own notes and coins, We only saw one Gib. note all the time we were there, and  the new plastic UK notes were everywhere. Coins are the same as the UK except for the £1 coin that is still like the old one. However, all the Gib. coins have the queens head on one side but with "Queen Of Gibraltar" around the edge.  The reverse side is different.  These seem to be aimed at annoying the Spanish with scenes of the battle of Trafalgar and the capture of the rock in 1704 being just two examples.

When in Spain the situation is reversed. There is a motorway that runs down the coast through Malaga past Gib. and on to other places in southern Spain.  There are no sign posts to Gib. whatsoever. You have to follow the signs to somewhere near and then leave the motorway when you see the rock. 

Every single Gib. person from young to old was resolute in their desire to stay British. Brexit caused another referendum as to whether Gib. wanted to stay British.  97% said yes with a massive turnout for the vote. There are more Union Flags flying that I have ever seen before, the working hours are the same as the UK (no siesta) etc. etc.  The only things that were "continental" were the side of the road that you drive on and the use of Km instead of miles. the later of which I would like to see in the UK in any event.

Edited by J G

I was also in Gib' and as you say JG, it is a nice place and it is is very strange to be in a hot part of the world and see British Bobbies on the beat and red telephone boxes.

Great read, Needles! 

It shocked my American wife when I took her to the UK and she saw that there were hardly any Union Jack flags.  Here in the USA, the American flag is everywhere and it is a very patriotic country.  I must admit that I like that!

Yes Martin that's true of the Americans and Canadians also. When I had the pleasure of visiting relatives in Toronto, I was amazed at the feeling of patriotism the people had towards their country. I was equally embarrassed at the lack of such patriotism in the U.K.

Having said that, as I now live in the Highlands of Scotland, I would be loath to fly anything but the lion rampant or the Scottish saltire. I certainly haven't got the nerve to fly a Saint George flag in the garden. :P

LOL @ Needles.  I went to Scotland a few times when I was in the UK.  At one point, I had a driving job and had to drive all the way from Nottingham to the east coast of Scotland in the evening, stay overnight then drop off at Edinburgh and Glasgow and back to Nottingham.  Shame that the weather wasn't better!!

Martin

Ive just had a week on the Isle of Mull with wifey and one of my sisters. The weather was wall to wall sunshine all week. We hardly ever get that continuous warmth in the Highlands, so it was extremely good for us all.

@ Needles.

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 19:50, needles said:

The weather was wall to wall sunshine all week. We hardly ever get that continuous warmth in the Highlands, so it was extremely good for us all.

What Brian isn't telling you is that the sunshine only last a couple of hours, 'cause its dark the rest of the day! :whis:

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 14:16, Tristarcaptain said:

"If you ever get lost over Europe, look for the biggest, blackest cloud and under it is sure to be England"

This is a common mistake made by foreigners. The cloud is to be found over Wales. 

My son went to University in Bangor, North Wales. During freshers week he was advised to get a pair of wellies as, "if it isn't raining in Bangor, then it is just about to". After his three years there and visiting Bangor many times I think I only we there once when it didn't rain. However it was snowing at the time.

Edited by J G
  • Haha 1