Carrier Landing Practice

It looks to me to be built more for FSX.

I have this but have never tried it, it was given to me at a trade show the year before last!

Perhaps I should blow the dust off it and have a go.

Cheers

Please do mut and give your opinion to Longbeard! I dont want him going through the same thing I had done. I was expecting decent aircraft, thinking they had actually put more effort into the package than they normally do.Instead I got the Nissan Sunny of the flightsim world. Bad handling and awful default sounds that had been taken from the learjet and baron.

I read a great quote about night carrier landings once...

It was something along the lines that three of the most intense human experiences are a heart attack, an orgasm and a bowel movement. A night carrier trap in bad weather allows you to experience all three at once.

John

I read a great quote about night carrier landings once...

It was something along the lines that three of the most intense human experiences are a heart attack, an orgasm and a bowel movement. A night carrier trap in bad weather allows you to experience all three at once.

John

That is the funniest thing I've heard all day!!! And likely very true I'm sure!

Aha!!

John,

The info you need is here courtesy of SimBase

In FSX a new high-detailed static carrier has been placed at 5 US harbours. The carriers have no support for launch and recovery. You can distinguish these from the AI carriers by the aircraft on the deck of the static carriers. They can be found at these locations:

* Naval Air Station North Island (KNZY), California, USA

* Naval Station Norfolk (KNGU), Virginia, USA

* Apra Harbor (SW of PGUM), Guam

* Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (NE of KPWT), Washington, USA SkyVector.com

* Naval Station Everett (NE of KPAE), Washington, USA

AI carriers

The AI carriers are moving and follow defined schedules just like the AI aircraft. The carriers have working Fresnel lens and lighted landing deck. Moreover they support launch and recovery if you use the aircraft from the Acceleration pack.

There is four carrier routes in FSX, each having an ordinary and reverse schedule. You can see the schedules below and download the routes as FSX flightplans.

Image1.gif

Download route 1 (Right click and "save link or save target as")

Download route 2

Download route 3

Download route 4

Remember to set a high traffic density of ships.

Remember that times are GMT and that weekdays in FS is selected in local time. E.g. on Monday 02:40 GMT at Hawaii it's still Sunday local, so Sunday is selected in FS.

Phew! hope it works, I will try it tomorrow, er.. oh, it IS tomorrow here! Later on today!

Cheers

Joe

OK, one more question, where do I put these route files, and how do I use them?

Yeah I know, I'm a dummy!

:clapping:

These are XML files, and I can't find any similar files in my install. When I tryto open them, I get this...

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Longbeard/Desk...

N37

John,

Apologies I should have remembered you would need more info.

First off, I have re-jigged the flight plans so please re-download, don't forget to right click the link and "save as" to retain the correct encoding. Yes they use an xml schema as so much does these days.

Once you have downloaded move the files to your "My Documents - flight Simulator X" Folder. The path is something like C:Documents and Settings{NAME}My DocumentsFlight Simulator X Files (All the save files and plans etc live here).

Make sure you have the ships & ferries % slider set high in the scenery tab in the display options.

In the Free Flight screen hit the Flight Planner button then Load one of the download files eg "VFR Norfolk NS to Norfolk Intl.PLN" click ok and opt for the move to the departure point listed in the flight plan.

Choose your aircraft and ensure you set the day and time to those listed above eg Fri 19:35 GMT! (Month is irrelevant)

This should place you on the runway of the nearest airport, take off and go hunting!

spring441.jpg

As we are at the start time of the voyage the ship has only just left port.

spring442.jpg

The static ship is at the dock whilst the AI ship is underway

spring443.jpg

You can see both here too. Hook down, on awing and a prayer.

spring445.jpg

I can see the wires.

spring446.jpg

Maybe next time :clapping::thum::thum:

spring447.jpg

Hope you get it working ok. Just holler if you need help.

Cheers

Hi John

Unfortunately I don't have access to a flight sim PC ATM so shooting in the dark.

Don't be confused with loading a saved flight and the flight planner. So long as you have right clicked and saved the PLN file from the link and moved it to My Documents/ F....S.....X etc as mentioned above you should be ok. When you click flight planner and click load the example with screenshots above should be in the explorer window as "VFR Norfolk NS to Norfolk Intl.PLN"

The only way out of this will be for you to send me a first class plane ticket and I will sort it out with you on site :clapping:

Are you using XP or Vista? as the path on Vista may be different. There should already be PLN files in the directory you are copying these to.

EDIT oh I see you are on XP. It really should work the way I mentioned. If not I can do a step by step?

Regards