What do you think?

I have the standard CH yoke and pedals. I got them about three years ago and have never had a moment's problem with any aspect of them. CH has a new version out now (Eclipse?) that includes a set of mini-pedals inside the crook of the yoke handles, on each side of the hub. There are also some additional goodies built into the face of the hub. It's their latest and greatest. I don't know how that would be to fly with, but it would avoid having to buy pedals. CH is a good outfit.

I have never used any of the Saitek hardware so don't have any basis for comparison.

John

Hi Red, :rockon: to Mutleys!

I use the classic CH yoke and pedals too, I picked them up from Ebay at an excellent price. Bear in mind that CH also make industrial joysticks and controls so you can be assured of the quality.

Although a CH fan I do understand that the Saitek is goo value for money too.

At the end of the day it will be personal preference, have you any shops nearby that sell them? RC simulations in Bristol are good and you get a 5% discount for being a member of Mutley's. Or have a look at Flightstore http://www.flightstore.co.uk/DEPT-FSIM/ for more info.

Cheers

I have seen and had a chance to fool with that hardware, but not to actually fly with it. It was not connected to a PC at the time, so have no idea of control response, precision, etc. A fellow flight sim club member brought his set to a meeting to let the rest of us see it. He also had the new switch panel. Here are my observations...

1) The throttle quadrant levers are very smooth and have a nice long throw. They also have a detent near the bottom end of the travel with a little more travel beyond that. I don't know about the programmability, but it suggested to me that it might be very useful for a reverse thrust setting. These were the most impressive part of the Saitek hardware vs. the CH, which I am familiar with. The CH levers on top of the yoke are very small and toy-like, though they do operate well and are very smooth and precise.

2) I'm pretty sure there was a USB hub built into the back of the yoke so that the other peripherals could be connected there and only one cable had to go back to the PC.

3) All the Saitek hardware items seemed to be made to screw together. There were through-holes along the bottom and one edge of each piece, and threaded brass inserts along the top and the other edge, making it easy to couple the various pieces together. The setup I saw had the switch panel mounted dirctly on top of the yoke console. He also had a pair of the throttle quadrants and they were screwed together by the same means, providing the levers for a twin.

John

I dont know if John and Joe had/have this problem. The clamps on the CH yoke arnt really built right. By this is mean instead of being clamped to the desk, it moreless just leans against the bottom of the desk. Its hard to explain, but the clamping method I found on the CH was rather poorly suited to my desk. Though after some wood blocks, I think that the yoke will be easily wedged into place.

The bottom of the CH yoke is "stepped", with most of it resting on top of the desk or table surface, but with a kind of lip about 1-1/2 inches wide that hangs down a bit. You push that back against the front edge of the desk and it keeps it square. The clamps have worked fine for me but the desk surface I clamp it to is just a little too thin for the clamps - they bottom out before they clamp up. A paint-stirring stick between the clamps and the bottom edge of the desk adds enough thickness that they clamp properly.

I should also add that the clamps have survived hundreds of tighten/loosen cycles over about three years and still work fine and are none the worse for wear.

John