Some Processor/Graphics Advice

Hi chaps!

Within a couple of months, I hope to buy a new computer and upgrade to FSX. From what I have gathered, FSX seems to be more processor reliant. This is what I was thinking of buying for processor and Video card:

Processor: Intel

Hi George,

I would say you have it just about right about the graphics.

When I was researching the Manhattan X review I could only get 10fps max with my 9800 GX2 1Gb (a dual gpu card) The guys at Aerosoft advised me that the best thing to do would be to get a 512mb card as cheap as you like! Luckily I had kept my old 7900GTX 512mb card. After re-installing it the frames shot up to over 20 using max settings!

So, the moral of the story is don't bother with the 1 Gb card, use the money on the CPU, the most expensive cards are not always the best. I was so pleased with the performance of my 7900 that I sold my 9800 on ebay.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

joe

Thanks for the advice, Joe. :thumbup:

The graphics card I was thinking of purchasing (Nvidia GTX285) isn't a Dual GPU. Hopefully this means that it will give good performance (just like you mentioned with your 7900 GTX) without having the disadvantage of being a Dual GPU. Will it give slightly better frames than a 512mb graphics card or do you think that there will not be a noticeable difference?

Cheers,

George

It's difficult to say George, it depends on what the card is hooked up to, you would get a different result than me.

In terms of FSX it's not the graphics card that is the bottleneck so it may be a waste but it may be useful for other programs.

Cheers

Cheers for all the help, Joe. :yess:

After researching a little and browsing the net, I have decided to upgrade from a Quad to an i7 processor. Since FSX is more processor reliant, I considered spending more money on CPU Power was a better idea than wasting money on an unnecessarily powerful graphics card. Currently I am looking at buying something along these lines:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 (2.66Ghz)

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9800GT (1GB) or Nvidia GTX 260 (896mb)

Memory: 12GB Corsair DDR III Memory

Hard Disk: 2000GB SATA II Seagate Ultra Fast

Obviously there are some other components too, yet these are the core ones.

I would appreciate some advice on this (particulary on the Memory (RAM) in relation to the processor and also some on the GPU too! :good:

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

It's looking real good, you are upgrading further than I have experience of.

However, the 64 bit OS will suit the memory fine and going to a i7 is a wise choice IMO.

I am looking towards my next rig too, from what I have seen so far, Windows 7 is going to perform a whole lot better then Vista, I am in no hurry, so maybe in a year as I have to save for it!

As for the graphics I would go for the GTX260, I think the GPU architecture is more advanced? Have a look on Tom's Hardware.

Please keep us up to date with how it is going.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me (Not difficult!) will be able to give you more qualified advice.

Cheers

Hi Mutley,

I think you are probably right about the GTX260. It seems to be quite a good card and isn't really all that expensive either (in my budget!) The GTX280/285 would be a good purchase too I think, but since I am going to go for an i7 processor,

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have the core components that I really mentioned pretty much confirmed.

Now for the other parts, this is what I was thinking:

Power Supply: 800w Silent PSU

Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi.

Speakers: Creative Inpsire T6100 5.1 Surround sound

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

I am sure the PSU should have enough current to drive everything, I have a 850w PSU coming to power the GTX 260 I am getting.

You can't go far wrong with Soundblaster so it's looking to be an awesome setup, bring it on!!

Cheers

• 5 weeks later...

New system due to arrive by the end of this week :thumbup:

I have settled with the following:

Intel i7 920 2.66ghz OCed to 3.4ghz

Nvidia GTX 285 1gb single

DDR3 6GB 1600 Mghz

Thanks for the help,

George

Good stuff, same as me then. Now I know who to come to for advice!

Cheers

:biggrin: I was hoping it would be the other way round. I have vista (32 bit) on my laptop, but I'm a novice with 64 bit.

It wasn't an option though - 64 bit seems the way to go. If I'd got 32, I'd probably end up regretting it at some point.

Cheers

George

Hi Guys, I'm a bit of a non starter regarding Vista and still have XP Home edition. My question is this...I am wanting to go for the 64bit version of XP, so should I go for it or wait for Windows 7 to emerge??

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. BTW, What improvements would the 64bit give me with FSX??

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Regards as always

Needles :biggrin:

Hi Needles,

I would wait for Windows 7 64bit or use Vista 64 as you get access to a lot more memory that the FSX desperately needs and 32 bit OS cannot provide.

Cheers

Hi Needles,

I would wait for Windows 7 64bit or use Vista 64 as you get access to a lot more memory that the FSX desperately needs and 32 bit OS cannot provide.

Cheers

Cheers Mut'. Will wait for Win'7 as I don't want to get Vista then have to make another descision. :smile:

Hi Needles,

Cheers

Cheers Mut'. Will wait for Win'7 as I don't want to get Vista then have to make another descision. :thum:

Why don't you download Windows 7 RC x64? Here is a link if you are interested

Hi Needles,

Cheers

Cheers Mut'. Will wait for Win'7 as I don't want to get Vista then have to make another descision. :thum:

Why don't you download Windows 7 RC x64? Here is a link if you are interested