Hi guys,

here's my problem, I use active sky and flight environment which produce just amazing results!

However i sometimes get low frame rates, not all the time just occassionally, it appears to be a trade off between cloud draw distance and cloud density in the flight sim menu.

Do you guys have any tweaking tips that might help me get a larger draw distance at maximum density without too much drop in frames.

CaptHill

Hi guys,

here's my problem, I use active sky and flight environment which produce just amazing results!

However i sometimes get low frame rates, not all the time just occassionally, it appears to be a trade off between cloud draw distance and cloud density in the flight sim menu.

Do you guys have any tweaking tips that might help me get a larger draw distance at maximum density without too much drop in frames.

CaptHill

Hi there CP. What settings are you running for these at the moment? I use Flight Environment and AS6.5 for my clouds, and generally, and for best realism in my opinion, i find that setting the 'Max Visibility' slider to 30 or 40 Miles with cloud draw distance the same allows me to set max density for the clouds - i get about 25-30fps even on my decrepit ATI 9600 Pro with full settings!!. Usually in real life you're not able to see much further than this because of haze, but play about and see what you get.

Thanks for the quick response.

I ve been tinkering with my setup all afternoon and i think after following your advice on how to set up the draw and sight distance i ve got much better frame rates. I sacrificed some autogen which just wasnt needed because i have lots of scenery add ons and hey presto, it seems to be running in the region of 25 FPS except in the biggest thunderstorm i could create in Active sky, and then it was still only 15FPS ish, and that was over Heathrow so it cant get much worse i wouldn't have thought :thumbup:

One more question with regard to Active Sky, what options do you use to get the best effect, eg number of layers etc, how do you get lots of stratus cloud?

CaptHill

Thanks for the quick response.

I ve been tinkering with my setup all afternoon and i think after following your advice on how to set up the draw and sight distance i ve got much better frame rates. I sacrificed some autogen which just wasnt needed because i have lots of scenery add ons and hey presto, it seems to be running in the region of 25 FPS except in the biggest thunderstorm i could create in Active sky, and then it was still only 15FPS ish, and that was over Heathrow so it cant get much worse i wouldn't have thought :thumbup:

One more question with regard to Active Sky, what options do you use to get the best effect, eg number of layers etc, how do you get lots of stratus cloud?

CaptHill

no probs, glad to hear it worked to some extent.

as for AS6, as it generates real world weather, there's no best way to set it up. Even at the default settings i found it to work very well in conjunction with Flight Environment, i'm not on the machine at the moment, but i'm sure there's plenty of others here with FE and AS running alongside each other that can step in and suggest more answers...