PC plus Laptop setup?

Hi Guys, As you can see by the time I'm posting this, it's quite late. My on-going back problem is really giving me some pain and I can't sleep. I've taken some morphiene (prescribed by GP) (No not Mr Jacksons GP either), and I'm waiting some relief. :wow:

Anyway, I digress.

If this hs already been discussed, my sincere apologies.

Can someone help me in working out (if possible) to get my laptop working in conjunction with my main PC with FSX?

I would like to run FSX on my main box and have (say), the aircraft main panel showing on my laptop.

Is this possible? and if so could you give me a laymans explanation on how.

Cheers Guys,

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Regards :stars:

Hi Needles, sorry to hear of your back problems, they are so debilitating.

I really cannot see a way of using the laptop for a secondary display as the main PC will not recognise it.

The only thing the laptop could be useful for is running EXTERNAL applications that use FSUIPC to communicate with the sim like weather generation programs or flight planning etc. This would require a program called Wide FS to work (Not that I use it) http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Having said all that I remember now you said the laptop was FUBAR?

Regards

Having said all that I remember now you said the laptop was FUBAR?

Regards

Hi Mut' Still suffering today. Thanks for your reply but in your quote above, this is my laptop which is fine and not my sons laptop. So if I can get the pc and laptop talking that would be great.

Cheers for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Needles

As Mutley said you will need FSUIPC/WideFs to run the external applications but when you have that there are a lot of stand alone gauge programs available, some payware others freeware/donations, both for GA and for heavies. I personally have a multiple pc setup with all gauges displayed on a slave pc. I have 2 separate progams on the slave pc, one showing GA instruments and the other for a glass cockpit when flying the heavy stuff.

There is also a program called WideView which can be used to achieve a similar end by using the laptop to run as master, displaying only instruments (you cant get rid of the outside view altogether but you can make it as small a window as possible), and the second pc displaying only outside views. The downside to WideView is it needs a copy of flightsim on both computers. The upside is you can link as many outside views as you like to give a range of views, left, front, right, etc if you have enough pcs.

Den

Hi Den' and welcome to the Mutleys'.

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter. I am still looking for a way to hook up my laptop and would, (if possible) be happy if you could maybe give me a laymans aproach to how to do this. i.e what programs to put on what computer and how to link them.

Hope you have time to do this. I would also like to see some pics of your setup, as I'm sure others would too.

Cheers for now and thanks again.

Regards

Needles aka Brian

Hi Pointypins!

My thoughts are with you in regard to your back. Hope you get it fused and some relief soon.

Cheers Martin. Your thoughts are indeed appreciated. Not only a bad back just now but had news that my elder sister passed away on wednesday last, so all-in-all a pretty miserable week.

Thanks again.

Sad news Brian, our thoughts go out to you and your family.

Regards

Most appreciated Mut'. It's good to know that there are forums like Mutley's' where you can air your feelings as well as get good sound advice. Cheers again for your thoughts.

Hi Needles

Cant post any piccies at the moment as I am away from home on a really slow connection.

The first thing you need to do is to link the pcs on a network, if you haven't already, either wired or wireless. The laptop is likely to have a wireless connector built in it already. If you are only linking the 2 computers you can use a crossover cable, but if you want to link more than that you will need some sort of network hub and a cable for each pc. You should be able to get them all from a local component shop.

The software needed to make the link is built in to windows, just look in the help files for network and then follow the instructions. It is important to get this working or none of the following operations will work. When the network is set up right each pc will be able to "see" the other(s) if you look under network in windows explorer. I also set all pcs up to share Documents with each other so I can copy any files I need from one to the other down the network link.

Hope this helps as a start.

Den

• 2 weeks later...

Needles

just wondering how you are getting on networking your pc and laptop?

Finally got round to taking some photos of my simpit, as you asked.

It is not a copy of anything, rather its a generic one that I can use for different types of aircraft, as you can see from the photos. One shows it in GA mode and one in Heavies mode.

It is based on 2 networked pcs, The main one a Q6600 driving the outside views via aTH2G, and the second, an older machine with 2 screens on one video card, for the instruments and Flight Sim Commander. The left screen of the 2 instrument screens has a touch panel mounted in front of it and also displays the Button Screen of WideFS client. This enables me to control most of the sim by pushing buttons, rather than using the mouse, apart from the initial setting up of the flight that is. This makes it much more realistic for me.

Let us know how yuo are getting on.

Den

1000473k.jpg

1000466t.jpg

Cheers Den19,

I think I am going to have to start saving. I have only one 22" monitor at present so I have a way to go before it resembles anything like yours.

But thanks anyway as your pics have given me a renewed thirst to get there.

:great: