You are really better off not using the DX10 preview mode, it really does it no justice and some developers state their programs will not work correctly with it. :cool:

You are really better off not using the DX10 preview mode, it really does it no justice and some developers state their programs will not work correctly with it. :cool:

With it disabled, will this affect REX's Cloud textures as there's two boxes in the config menu that are related to DX 10.

Hi Goose,

I would say no, I do not believe that it is of any benefit to me but there's no harm in trying with it switched on to see how it works with your set up!

Hi Goose,

I would say no, I do not believe that it is of any benefit to me but there's no harm in trying with it switched on to see how it works with your set up!

Thanks Mut :icon_thumbup:

FSX actually looks better with DX10 dsiabled. Also, the Strobe, Nav, other lights are working as they should do. However, the DX 10 was in beta form " Preview " so it wasn't properly implemented into FSX when it came out.

You will also notice that with DX10 enabled, you may find that certain aircraft are completely white with no textures.

Disable it!:001_th_smiles89:

You will also notice that with DX10 enabled, you may find that certain aircraft are completely white with no textures.

Disable it!:001_th_smiles89:

Yes, I've had that experience. First thought was texture issues, but it turned out that some aircrafts do not support DX10.

Anyway, with DX10 disabled, two boxes with DX10 in REX settings are still checked - should I disable them aswell?

• 4 weeks later...

I have REX Overdrive but I can't work out the relationships (if any) between REX and the weather settings in FSX. How do the two work together? I currently load up REX and select real weather and enter my starting airfield as per my flight plan then start FSX but haven't touched the weather setting for cloud distance etc. What FSX settings should I have?

Also what are members thoughts on the 3D cloud settings within REX itself, there are suggestions that the 4096x4096 is not realistic and that 1024x1024 is better. ATM I've got all options selected apart from DX10 and the top selection for all the cloud settings.

And finally ........ Low level visibility 30SM and WX Engine update range 120NM

I have to say so far it seems to run well enough.

Hi Sabre,

To start, textures and weather situations are two different things and should not be confused.

Hopefully I am understanding your question, if so, REX's main feature is that it overwrites FSX own Water/Sky/Cloud textures with something a whole lot better than FSX. Once you choose your favourite textures and update FSX, those textures will not change until you choose new ones.

FSX then uses these improved textures whether you use FX's own pre-set weather themes or themes form an external source such as REX or Active Sky Evolution. FSX's own real weather data is rarely accurate.

So the textures that REX creates are one function. The weather situations REX produces are a different function.

Any good?

Thanks Joe

With you on the textures. To complete my understanding :wootmesalia: what do I need to do with these settings if anything. Does REX effectively negate these settings or how should they be set up?

I'm assuming everything is covered by REX with the possible exception of cloud draw distance or is this covered by the REX settings also.

EDIT LOL In short do I need to do anything on this menu in FSX :stars:

Weather.jpg

These are FSX specific settings :001_th_smiles89:

I would leave as is except increase cloud coverage density to high to get the wow effect.

The Distance only really comes into play if you are flying airliners so you are more likely to be higher and see further.

These are FSX specific settings :001_th_smiles89:

I would leave as is except increase cloud coverage density to high to get the wow effect.

The Distance only really comes into play if you are flying airliners so you are more likely to be higher and see further.

Thanks, thanks and thanks again :clapping:

So I'm good with FSX Weather settings when I make that change.

So in REX Also what are your views on the 3D cloud settings, 4096x4096 is what I have currently is 1024x1024 better? And where do you have Low level visibility (30SM) and WX Engine update range (120NM) ??

Hmmm not sure of the answer to that one as I don't use the REX weather generator. 30 - 40 Visibility is a good and a realistic setting, not sure about the range setting, sorry. I think it doesn't make that much difference.

On the question of the 4096 setting you will need to manually change your FSX.cfg to take advantage, look for the entry TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD= " " you need to set this to TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096.

Another problem with FSX is if you make the setting above by manually editing the file, then use the FSX interface to make other setting changes then the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 will revert to the default of TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024. It's bl**dy annoying but a well known limitation.

Whilst in the FSX.cfg file look for LOD_RADIUS it is probably set to 4.5, set it to 8 to increase the level of detail radius. Again if you set this manually and then mess with the FSX display settings it will revert back to 4.5

Always copy your fsx.cfg if you wish to make changes. If you completely stuff it up, delete the fsx.cfg file and FSX will create a brand new one with the default settings next time you fire up the sim.

You could try a neat little app called FSX Go from Orbx, it has lots of help and suggestions and can fire up FSX with bespoke settings.

Cheers,

Joe

• 4 months later...

I have this and found this topic to be really useful - I will definitely try some of these out later. I do have one question regarding REX though which is similar to the guiy above...

If I set the clouds and the sky colour to be nice and sunny etc etc in REX, then when I launch FSX and go to the plane selection page etc. What happens if I choose thunderstorms for the weather in FSX?

At the moment I have been setting up themes in REX and then setting the FSX weather theme to be something similar so if I want it sunny with clouds, I set this up in REX and have cold front approaching in FSX.

Hi Jim.

Remember that REX is only Textures that replace the default ones in FSX (so eye candy really) to get them to work you have to install them into FSX once you have made your theme choices.

Once they have installed (can take a bit of time) whatever weather type you pick should always use you REX textures (clouds and sky) as they have replaced the default ones, so if you pick a nice clear summers day your not going to see much apart from whatever sky texture you picked, on the other hand if you pick Thunder storms and crank the cloud coverage slider up to the Max, it's going to look pretty darn relistic with lots of clouds maybe some rain and also a bit of lightning as well. ;)

If you choose Real World weather!, you never know what your going to get really, I use that one the most myself :) , although I don't always use it with the REX Weather engine turned on because it seems to chuck out to much cloud/weather at times that does not seem right for the time of year :( .

Hope that helps you a bit.

Cheer's...Graham...

Thanks PanzerFodder - I understand the texture replacing and stuff but what I really want is to use the real world weather and then have rex put the correct weather into the game etc.

I understand that if I choose fair weather in FSX and have a really nice day theme in rex it would work, but at the moment I have nice day in rex but real world in fsx - this doesnt look right in game as if I have rain it still looks bright :)

Maybe its not possible - I will take a look at REX again and maybe see if it can work with the static real weather option?

Cheers anyways bud, appreciate your reply

Jim

Jim,

When you use REX to load RW weather into FSX, On the World/Weather page is the weather option in set to User-defined weather? It should be, otherwise FSX RW weather would override the imported weather from REX.

Rex will automatically set this to User Defined once it has loaded the weather so don't switch it back to Real World in FSX!

• 2 months later...