32 Squadron - Scramble! Scramble! Scramble!!

Well guys, it's time for another of my tributes to those very few who gave so much for their country. This one, as per the post title, is named "32 Sqn Scramble!!". It depicts three Hurricane Mk.1s of 32 Squadron getting airborne from RAF Biggin Hill to intercept the coming onslaught of Hitler's Luftwaffe during the early days Battle Of Britain. 32Sqn was later withdrawn from front line service due to heavy losses during the Battle of Britain and was returned to the role during 1942 when it was stationed in Northern Africa battling against Rommel's Africa Korps.

I've been working on this one for a few small hours a day for the last few weeks. Over all i'm pretty happy with it, but as always C&C is most welcome! I've included teh bare-bones of the composition below to give you an idea of the work that went into it - as an additional bonus, the aircraft cut-outs from FS9 below are using the freeware AH Hurricane, and are presented below as PNG files for download and use in your own art works! (who says i don't give you guys anything!).

So, without further ado, sit back, scroll down and enjoy the show, then C&C as you feel necessary (scroll right to the bottom to see the finished picture!).

original shots:

Sqn leader

Sqn_leader.png

left wingman

wing_l.png

right wingman

wing_right.png

the airfield

fsscr000.jpg

grass texture photo:

grassfield.jpg

and finally the composite:

Scramble.png

Nice work Simi, those are great cut-outs and look well placed against the background.

The props look great too, you have surely mastered that technique :thum:

My only criticism would be the trailing Hurricane is a bit fuzzy.

Well done

Joe

Hi Si',

I see what you mean!

The final comp' is brilliant. It looks like one of the old paintings you see of that era.

How do you get such great cutouts?

When I try it in photoshop I always seem to have some of the background lurking somewhere around the cutout subject.

Regards

Needles

Great edit Simon!

The slight blur of the planes really gives the feeling of motion in the shot, even if I agree with Joe that the one in the background might be a bit much.

Apart from what Joe said I only have one remark. I'm missing the shadow of the plane in the foreground. Based on the shadow from the plane on the right it feels like it should be at least partly visable at the bottom of the shot... But that's just my opinion of it....

How do you get such great cutouts?

When I try it in photoshop I always seem to have some of the background lurking somewhere around the cutout subject.

Brian, i tend to find myself using the pen and curve tool to make a path closely around the edge of the aircraft having zoomed in to around 600%, or more for tiny details. When the path is completed, i right click it, then click "Make Selection". This produced the 'marching ants' around it and i can then cut and past it onto a new document and save the cut out as a PSD, any bits i missed can then be attacked with the magnification at approx 500-800%......come to think of it, i could do a tutorial of the basic procedures for the cutting out and prop spinning i used if it helps!

My only criticism would be the trailing Hurricane is a bit fuzzy.

Thanks Joe, i tried to emphasise the depth of field and bring out the motion. I think you're right on the fact i may have over-cooked it, but having saved it for the night, when a fresh pair of eyes examined it the next day, the damage was already done - lesson learnt!

Great edit Simon!

The slight blur of the planes really gives the feeling of motion in the shot, even if I agree with Joe that the one in the background might be a bit much.

Apart from what Joe said I only have one remark. I'm missing the shadow of the plane in the foreground. Based on the shadow from the plane on the right it feels like it should be at least partly visable at the bottom of the shot... But that's just my opinion of it....

Thanks Mikael, much appreciated.... regards the foreground shadow, I wrestled with it during the initial composition and just could not get it placed right. In the end, and based on the light source, i decided that it would ber very close to call it 'in-shot' so left it out....

come to think of it, i could do a tutorial of the basic procedures for the cutting out and prop spinning i used if it helps!

Oooh Yes please! I tend to steer away from the pen tool as for some reason I always seem to mess it up.

Ah well! Practice makes perfect eh?

Cheers

Brian

i'll see what i can do for you Brian, hopefully Mut will get it stickied when i post it eventually...

as for the Pen tool, i make mistakes all the time, just click slowly around the outline of your image to cut out when zoomed right in and leave a trail of points all around the object, usually you'll get as good an outline as possible...although, saying that, i do sometimes make mistakes, but i have my 'undo' history set to save 99 actions, so i can always go back and re-do it! the other thing to do if you have a point out of line, but everything either side is ok, just CTRL-Click the point and move it in/out as required.

Cheers for that Si', I really need a keyboard shortcut guide for Photoshop.

I might look on the web for one.

Looking forward to trying out your tips for cutouts.

I will post something when I've got something worth showing.

Cheers :thum: