FSX - Fatal Error

Stupidly, I have been trying to improve one of my aeroplanes by copying a gauge from one plane to another.

When I tried to start FSX I was told a Fatal Error had occured.

When I looked at the Problem Details I saw

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61637.0

Application Timestamp: 46fadb14

Fault Module Name: visualfx.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.61637.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 46fadb59

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00014857

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:

LCID: 2057

I went back to the relevant Panel.CFG file and deleted the lines I had added but the damage was done.

I am thinking about putting the DVD's in the PC and using the "Repair" function. Has anyone tried this and what is repaired?

Does it re-set FSX to factory conditions i.e. remove all my add on scenery, aircraft and network settings or just concentrate on the core programme?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest an different solution?

Thank you,

Tregarth

Have you got windows system restore? You could try that first.

I have never used the repair function, with all the reviews and testing I do I have to re-install FSX quite often but the repair will only function on the core software not third-party programs so any scenery you have will still be there but make a copy of your scenery.cfg (You should know where it is by now :nea: ) as it may overwrite it, then you can pop it back in place after.

Joe

Dear Joe,

Yes, I will try Windows Restore. I may already have a "clean" copy (or two) of the Scenery.cfg file! When you say Repair only functions on the core software, does this include the network settings? I don't think I can face rebuilding my network - my main PC runs Win 7, the slave PC runs XP

I will tell you what happens,

Thanks

Tregarth

Have you got windows system restore? You could try that first.

I have never used the repair function, with all the reviews and testing I do I have to re-install FSX quite often but the repair will only function on the core software not third-party programs so any scenery you have will still be there but make a copy of your scenery.cfg (You should know where it is by now :nea: ) as it may overwrite it, then you can pop it back in place after.

Joe

Hi

Are you saying you run FSX through a network? (WideFS?) That's a bit outside my comfort zone Clive.

If you are talking windows network then you should have no problems.

Joe

The error message does not smell of gauge issues to me. You might not want to strain your back by kicking your own backside for this. I'm not an expert and I couldn't prove it but I think it's probably just a corrupted file, not anything to do with a panel.

John

Hi Tregarth,

Even Googling the problem (As I am sure you have done) comes up with nothing concrete. Suggestions were defrag drive and registry, un-install addons in reverse order to see if one is the cause. I couldn't really suggest much else.

Joe

Yes, I have Googled all the possible combinations I can think of but with no success.

What I can tell you is that although the screen settings have been changed, NONE OF THE NETWORK SETTINGS WERE TOUCHED so my network still works !. Hallelujah! :dance: :thum:

I have never understood this program, when I looked in Win Explorer many of the Add-on aircraft folders which I thought had been removed during the uninstall were still in the SimObjects/Aircraft Directory. I thought if looking inside but have not had the courage to do so.

I appreciate your help, are you going to Duxford on Sat Sept 4?

Tregarth

Hi Tregarth,

Yes I already have my ticket for Saturday, we (Mutley's) had an offer of a stand at the show but I decided against it as we really don't have that much to show, except me, as you saw at the Weston show last year! :thum:

Cheers