Shimmering Airports - Solved ! Link to Tutorial Here

I have been discusiing various aspects of DXT, DDS and BMP useage in FSX/FS9 and stuff about mip maps etc.

Well, I finally tracked down a post on the Aerosoft forum that was written well enough for me to actually convert an entire airport's textures, and have got rid of 99.5 % of all shimmer.

Check it out here, as I can't pretend to take credit.

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=36780&st=0&p=241181&fromsearch=1entry241181

It is the post by "cmpbllsjc"

He elaborates somewhat, at the foot of page 2 of the thread after I asked him via PM to provide some extra info.

Basically, it involves using a couple of freeware apps, and lots of backup and well-labelled folders, so you don't lose track of which textures are what !!!!!!

Oh, and the bottom line is that to get rid of shimmers for ground textures and so on, they need to be in DXT 3 WITH mip maps. At least in FS2004.

As Mutley has pointed out, Aircraft don't seem to benefit from Mipmaps - except possibly Ai aircraft... but for scenery it really does benefit, with no obvious loss in quality or perfromance.

It is really easy too, and has made a massive difference. Now where are those old UK2000 mega airports? Hehe... approaching Glasgow last night - at night - I saw the shimmering blob in the distance, before the runway lights... not for long though - I'm off to do some "mipping" !!!

I succesfully mipped anumber of airfields now. Works a charm.

Interestingly, Aerosoft seem to be mip mipping their airports now. The new Gibraltar for FS2004 at least, is all mipped and looks very nice.

However, if you are making your own scenery, many of the object libraries you may use with Instant Scenery for example, can also be mipped ! many objects will cause shimmer from a distance, and just need their textures locating and then converting to mip maps.

Still can't get ramp lights to stop though. Probably due to their nature - AA for example will always have a problem with tall thin objects.

:th_smiles73: