In-Flight Refueling in FS

I can't take any credit for any of this myself...this was being discussed at my flight sim club's monthly breakfast this morning. I'd had a sniff of this about a week ago but it's been confirmed this morning to really work.

You may or may not know that there is a new version of FS Recorder out now, version 2, I believe. The word is that it's much improved and now captures and displays many things that it formerly did not.

My club friends have managed to figure out how to use the new FS Recorder to fly in-flight refueling missions using a freeware KC-135R and a freeware BUFF (B-52). The technique is to take the tanker to a decent altitude (I think I heard 18,000 feet) and set it up on autopilot with the boom extended. Start FS Recorder and record about 20 minutes of straight and level flying on autopilot with the boom out.

Save that session and then use the "Replay as AI" option to put the tanker in your world and fly the BUFF to intercept and connect up with him. Whatever B-52 they are using has a refueling door that opens and they can literally connect up the bomber to the tanker, though I guess transferring fuel doesn't really occur - you can't have everything.

Anyway, my hat is off to these guys (one of whom is a former KC-97 boom operator) for this innovative new FS activity. I'm really fortunate to have the opportunity to rub elbows with these guys and learn from them.

It sounds like a good idea, Id like to know how on earth they they manage to find the tanker once the B52 is in the air. Presumably they have to run the tanker over some familiar landmark so they have a reference point to look for in the buff. Its hard enough to link up with a tanker when you have the instructions coming at you (as in the Lago refuelling mode on the C130 etc). In the case of the KC135 you would be hunting blind for the Tanker in a very big environment! :biggrin:

It sounds like a good idea, Id like to know how on earth they they manage to find the tanker once the B52 is in the air. Presumably they have to run the tanker over some familiar landmark so they have a reference point to look for in the buff. Its hard enough to link up with a tanker when you have the instructions coming at you (as in the Lago refuelling mode on the C130 etc). In the case of the KC135 you would be hunting blind for the Tanker in a very big environment! :biggrin:

Having been a passenger on an AAR flight in the VC10, i know how difficult it can be for the little guys to find 'big momma' flying about ready to feed the baby's.........Anyway, if the Yanks carry out the AAR role anything like the way we Brits do it with the VC10/Tristar refuelling rigs, they'd fly around in an ovular pattern over a pre-defined sector of the country and guide the little guys in via constant radio commands.

quite good fun to watch actually, and you really get a sense of the diffculty for the fighters all queing up for a drink!

I haven't talked to the guys who are actually doing this since I made the posting, but there are several things that suggest themselves.

There are all kinds of AI viewing utilities available as both freeware and payware. FS Commander shows AI. Traffic 2005 has a traffic map utility. I've just bought some pretty cheap payware for FSX called AIRound (from SimMarket) that has an AI map. Even some of the TCAS add-ons would work if you're close enough. Some add-on AC have radar, TCAS or both. The CS C-130 has A-A radar with a 15 NM range.

In the real world, I guess air-air radar is the name of the game, or vectors from a nearby AWACS or ground-based radar if you're trying to avoid emitting yourself.

Particularly if you're a fighter, if you can't find a tanker who's trying to be found, you probably are just wasting kerosene being up there anyway. :winka:

John