Vista 'Night' mare

I am not a very happy teddy.

I have installed UT2 - it is often a pain as for some reason it tends to reject my password a few times, then tell me I'm out of activations, then finally accept it - so I don't like having to mess with it. It was working just great after the latest install.

I then installed a couple of my Aerosoft sceneries and find that, for the second time (last time I didn't know what had caused it), Vista Mare has jumped uninvited into my FSX installation, and UT2 has, quite literally, been booted out! Last time this happened I gave up trying to restore UT2 and had to completely wipe FSX and start again, to get my decent AI traffic.

Vista mare is AS's way of putting traffic into their scenery - it does ask if you want to activate it in the same way as gauges etc - you know, the ones you just sit there clicking on 'Yes' time after time to get through whilst waiting to boot up. Next time, I'll be more wary - although it may still mess up UT2, I don't know and don't want to have to 'suck it and see'.

Has anyone suffered this indecency and actually been able to recover their UT2 installation?

Last time I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked at all. A typical FSX installation takes about a week - several hours a day - to complete for me, so I really don't want to have to do it again, not even having finished the current install.

If I knew exactly which of the AS scenery was responsible, I'd avoid it. I don't think they all use it.

Be grateful for any wise assistance here.

TiA

JD

Just an update - I've checked all the manuals for the AS scenery installed and not one of them bears the slightest reference to VistaMare, which is rather neglectful, as it has such an impact on the installation, and is put in as an independant module.

Actually clicking 'Yes' on the 'trust this software' box is irrelevant, as it has already stuffed UT2, before it is even run. It actually deleted a vital UT2 entry in AppData, without which only a reinstall can repair the damage done. I should have known, as the UT2 enabled jingle didn't sound as I started FSX - which is how I know it is stuffed straight away.

I think I'm going to search out any AS scenery I have still uninstalled - get it in there and then reinstall UT2 last, after deleting any VistaMare files that get installed again.

If it still won't work, I'll just use VoxATC for the AI - it does a very good job, with whatever AI aircraft are available, so it will use the UT2 AI planes, plus any others you have installed.

I don't want to reinstall FSX again, as my activations have expired and each time I install FSX and Acceleration now, I have to telephone Microsoft. I did find a 'nocd' type file that works, on the internet, but I prefer to do it the proper way. It's just a pain, that's all.

JD

Hey JD,

Thanks for posting, I have never really investigated what VistaMare is. Like you, I have Ultimate traffic, Heli traffic from Flight 1 and when in Australia, FTX's own traffic which you can disable for default FSX.

I have just re-installed FSX and as yet no Aerosoft sceneries have gone on. I intend to re-install Andras Field as I have a property there along with VFR Germany West being the accompanying photo scenery.

They will definitely be last to install given your advice.

Thanks for the heads up, that is real helpful info.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe, after installing the remaining AS sceneries I have, the VistaMare folder and dll files had been reinstalled, so it seems there is more than one scenery package that uses it.

I always select not to use static AI aircraft during installation of the sceneries, but it doesn't ask about dynamic AI. According to the Aerosoft support forum, you can safely delete the VistaMare files if you don't want their AI to work and it has no ill effect on the scenery itself - good to know.

Tomorrow I will reinstall UT2 and let you know here how it goes. I hope it then works okay.

JD

Eureka!

I won't go through the details of the hours I've spent trying to get things sorted, but after finally getting the add-on scenery and config file sorted, I reinstalled UT2 (twice - but that's yet another story) - it still gave me hassle, but after installing SP1 and SP2 in order, it suddenly all came together.

Yabadaba-flippin-doo.

Even so, I haven't actually run FSX yet - I'll save that undoubted pleasure (cough) for tomorrow.

JD