UK Farmstrips FSX

Hi Guys

a couple of years ago I installed all the UK Farmstrips packs and went on a proper VFR navigation tour around them - strictly no GPS or VOR allowed.

It was really good fun and took several weeks to get round. The unfortunate thing was that the scenery was not optimal in FSX. For example, the trees looked like props on a stage and stood out from some distance. This kind of thing made a lot of the strips very easy to spot and spoiled some of the fun of finding the strips through navigation alone.

The ones that didn't suffer from this, or that were at a low elevation and therefore somewhat hidden from view, could sometimes take a long time to find - and that made it even more fun. A bit like Rescue Pilot with Farmstrips.

I could come out with a few tales of (often wrong) road following forays, but I don't want to bore you all.

The point is, does anyone know if the sceneries have been updated in the meantime? I'd really like to do this tour again - though in a different order, so I can't be tempted to 'cheat' by using my old flight logbook! I found my route notes earlier and decided to throw them away so I would have to do the lot from scratch again.

But it would be much better if the strip sceneries were a little less obvious.

TiA

JD

JD,

First off, keep an eye out for Easter Bunny Rally it will be right up your street! Details will be published soon.

Do you have any photo scenery installed? Hopefully if you have, it will be Horizon scenery V2. If so Treescapes UK from ES Simulations will totally transform it, It's as accurate as it can be to the real world. So much in-fact that when I am flying into my local farm strip "Lower Upham" there is a copse of trees you have to fly around to be lined up for runway 22 and it is right there in TreeScapes I cannot tell you how brilliant that is for me.

Also, on the same site http://www.earthsimulations.com/our_freebies.html are links to freeware from the guys who did most of the original autogen and scenery for FS9 but now for FSX.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe

no, I have the Real Scenery version - which I also used for the first Farmstrips, along with UK2K VFR Airfields. It was recommended to me by a couple of guys at CiX VFR Club, and as I was new (and very unknowledgable) in FSX at the time, I bought it - not even knowing there was another one.

I have loads of scenery for GenX which I downloaded on the offchance that one day I might get to swap with someone..... fat chance, methinks!

I seem to remember bumping into the chap that designed the Farmstrips for FSX package some time ago on JF forums - but I can't remember who he is.

JD

• 2 years later...

Hi folks. Sorry for digging up an old thread but I figured it was better than starting a new one. I'm just getting back into FSX after finally getting a computer that is capable of running it without the dreaded OOM. Anyway, I'm in the process of installing the UK Farm Strips addon but in the instructions it says

"Unfortunately MS have chosen to change the names of many of their texture files, in moving from FS9 to FSX. We therefore need to utilise some of the tree textures from FS9. To do this open your FS9 root folder, then open its TEXTURE folder. Identify all the files starting with   tree. There are 54 of these files. Copy all 54 files across into the same Texture folder into which you have just placed the downloaded texture files; your Static Objects Library's  TEXTURE folder."

I've never owned a copy of FS9 and Googling for them has so far come up with nothing. What are we supposed to do if we don't have FS9 to poach them from?

TIA.

Steve.

I can't help you as I do not have the program but welcome to the site. :welcomeani:  Hopefully someone can at least give you the file names and you can copy some excisting tree files and rename them using the F9 file names. Good luck.

Hi Brett and thanks for the welcome. I did look for an "Introduce yourself" type thread so I could show some manners before posting about my prob but I couldn't see one. I'd probably have found it if I wasn't half asleep. Hopefully I can be a productive member in the future. Thanks again. :)

Steve,

I have FS9 installed but only see five files beginning with "tree" in Flight Simulator 9 -> Texture.  There are no sub-folders below that one either, so don't know where else to look.

Did a filename search on the entire FS9 including all sub-folders and only came up with six files.

John

Thanks for taking the time to look into that for me, John. I appreciate it. Would you mind posting the exact names of those textures so I could do as was suggested above and rename some existing textures to take their place? On that subject, is there any software out there which will identify what textures are missin?. I've come across the odd black roof and shadow on the ground where there is nothing there to cast a shadow.

Would you mind posting the exact names of those textures...

treesFA.bmp (stock FS9)

treeshw.bmp (stock FS9)

treesSP.bmp (stock FS9)

treesSU.bmp (stock FS9)

treeswi.bmp (stock FS9)

tree_pinnate.bmp (from add-on scenery)

tree_palmate.bmp (from add-on scenery)

tree_oval.bmp (from add-on scenery)

tree1.bmp (from add-on scenery)

tree2k2.bmp (from add-on scenery)

FS9_Trees.bmp (from add-on scenery)

JY_TREES.bmp (from add-on scenery)

I also have a sub-folder under Add-On Scenery named "European Trees" - not sure where it came from, possibly Ultimate Terrain Europe.

It has the usual Scenery and Texture sub-folders beneath and the Texture one contains 162 bmp files with names like Bo_008_HW.bmp - none have "tree" in the file name, but the parent folder does. A Win7 search brought them up so "tree" must be embedded in the file somewhere - I didn't even know that was possible for a bmp.

I don't think any of this is much help. Bottom line is, I can't find anything like the number of stock FS9 files containing tree in the filename that your first post suggests.

John

Well it would appear I've been wasting my time and yours. I got to work on grabbing some existing textures to change the names on and low and behold, all those 54 textures were already there. It seems that at some point the addon was updated to include the missing textures but the instructions were never changed to reflect this. Though it's good they added the textures, I'm sorry I involved you good folk here on my wild goose chase. Oh well, lesson learned. *Note to self* Don't take the instructions as gospel in future. :th_blush:  Anyway, many thanks again for your time and efforts. :)