Hi,

just three small things:

1. Timing

Wouldn't it make more sense to start/stop the timer when you do a midfield-crossing?

With the Duke it takes me 2 minutes to get to cruise altitude, the Catalina took around 6 minutes...

2. Aircraft

We should make a list of aircraft that are in @ the limit of 200kts.

The Lancair IV-P can fly below 200 comfortably, actually that's the Econ setting at around 170kts

Are we talking KIAS here? Maybe if we just said that you're not allowed to fly faster than 200kts it would make more sense...

3. Altitude

Again, for timing reasons. If we said 4.5k feet and midfield-crossings, this would provide identical conditions for everyone...

That's just what I was wandering about...

Cheers, Stefan

Hi Stefan

We have two timing strategies in place here, the test flight timing, which is from mid-field overhead to mid-field overhead, that allows you to get up to cruise altitude and on the 78 radial and log a time between the two points. If you are using the flight timer you have to note the time overhead EGHI and subtract it from the overhead time at EGKK. From this we calculate your average speed and your target time per flight including the "climb to cruise" and "landing circuit" phases of each flight leg.

When flying the event flights, the timer will automatically start at 35 kts and stop at 35 kts and will give you your time for the PIREP.

We are using KIAS, speed is not really the issue here as it is not a race, we just wanted to set a bar at 200kts max cruise, as some twin or even single prop can achieve this with no problem. It also makes things a bit simpler as there is a lot of admin behind this scenes in this event.

We do not provide a list of aircraft as part of the fun is for the pilot to do the research.

I hope that answers your questions and thanks for your contribution :icon_rockon:

Joe

Hi Stefan

We have two timing strategies in place here, the test flight timing, which is from mid-field overhead to mid-field overhead, that allows you to get up to cruise altitude and on the 78 radial and log a time between the two points. If you are using the flight timer you have to note the time overhead EGHI and subtract it from the overhead time at EGKK. From this we calculate your average speed and your target time per flight including the "climb to cruise" and "landing circuit" phases of each flight leg.

When flying the event flights, the timer will automatically start at 35 kts and stop at 35 kts and will give you your time for the PIREP.

We are using KIAS, speed is not really the issue here as it is not a race, we just wanted to set a bar at 200kts max cruise, as some twin or even single prop can achieve this with no problem. It also makes things a bit simpler as there is a lot of admin behind this scenes in this event.

We do not provide a list of aircraft as part of the fun is for the pilot to do the research.

I hope that answers your questions and thanks for your contribution :icon_rockon:

Joe

Alright. So if it can do 205 or so it won't matter, as long as you don't fly that fast.

I'll probably fly a Spitfire MkI then in slow cruise instead of the Da-42, that will leave me below the limit there (of course it can go way faster, but I think it should be ok... right?)

As for the timing, I think since we know the target time, this issue is also minimized.

Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate the amount of time you invest in this!

Stefan

Stefan,

Some additional points to add to Joe's response.

The MEBAR is an event designed to test individual flying and navigation skills. An important part of this is the flight planning for each Flight Leg.

The Test Flight provides the organisers with a reference speed for your chosen aircraft flown in perfect weather conditions at a nominal VFR altitude of 4500'.

The Target Times factor in an approximation of the performance characteristics of your aircraft for the climb to cruise, cruise, descent, circuit and approach phases of flight. Other than the basic navigation instructions provided in the Flight Briefing, how you fly each Leg (altitude, actual route taken, etc) is entirely your choice. The challenge is testing your ability and skill to do the flight planning, taking into account the affect of the weather, and then fly the Flight Leg as close as possible to your Target Time.

The MEBAR is just one in a series of events of the Great Air Rally Grand Prix and the organisers chose to limit aircraft choice as per the stated Rules. There are other events, such as the Great Australian Air Rally, which don't have a limit on speed but place other limits, such as year and engine type on aircraft choice. Whilst it is recognised that participants might want to fly other aircraft types, the Rules provide an opportunity to be introduced to and fly different aircraft.