Instant Scenery help

Hi Guys

rather than covering instant scenery stuff in the previous 'trees woes' thread I thought it would be a better idea to start a thread that will be easy to find and hold pertinent info for anyone looking for such help in this forum or via the search function.

I have now installed and purchased the prog, v1.02, and find straight away that the UK Farmstrips bgl files won't open in it.

That is a little baffling, as Brian and John have obviously both been able to do so. I'm using the Library Maker shortcut, then browsing to the relevant bgl files and clicking 'open' (not the AF2 files :shrug_no: ) and then getting a "This BGL file is not a valid library" message box.

Bummer! Considering this was the main reason I purchased the program - I'm feeling a bit deflated now!

Any suggestions?

JD

JD,

The comments I made in the other thread related to opening bgls using BGLAnalyz, a stand-alone freeware decompiler, yielding XML code. I used it on the freeware Alderney scenery that had the tree problems in FS9 and it decompiled four of six, failing on the other two. That's where the trees were so could do nothing with them.

Like you, when using IS I find that not all libraries from other scenery packages open in IS2 either - some do, some don't.

John

Okay, John. I see from his notes that Gerry used the RWY12 Object Placer to make the strips - so that's out the window straight away.

I think I will install the scenery, then start at some of them with UTX enabled, just to see how they fit in. If it's still unsatisfactory I will seriously think about doing my own.

That would be with Instant Scenery and ADEX, I guess. Where I'll find the time is another matter, but I will if I need to.

First got to get round some Instant Scenery teething issues I'm having - like the screen zooming around at hight speed when I start IS, until I click with the mouse - giving me no control or knowledge of where I am.

Also, the objects are not appearing onscreen.

Worked just fine with the demo, though. :fool:

JD

Likely the screen zooming around is from your yoke or joystick not being centered. I have the same issue with my CH yoke any time I enter Slew Mode in FS. Defining a bigger null zone for the controller will cure it.

John

Yes, I thought of that, John, and disconnected my G940 - but it didn't help.

I do have my BU0836X-based control panel attached, but that only has stuff like lights and GPS button switches - oh well, I'll try disconnecting that tomorrow - you never know.

Cheers & good night.

JD

Yes, I thought of that, John, and disconnected my G940 - but it didn't help.

I do have my BU0836X-based control panel attached, but that only has stuff like lights and GPS button switches - oh well, I'll try disconnecting that tomorrow - you never know.

Cheers & good night.

JD

HI JD, Appologies for mo reply, been busy off the PC this weekend.

When I'm using IS2 I don't have my yoke or joystick attached. I just use my mouse. Also when you go to place an object on the screen I always make sure to press the 'Y' key to switch off the slew command. (Assuming it's on to start with). It will show up bottom right on you fsx screen. That way when I do try to place an object it doesn't fly off to the middle of the ocean somewhere.

Also, not all the scenery objects show up on screen for me either. I assume they are from locked scenery files but I'm not sure. Still learning IS2 myself and it's a very steep learning curve as you will know by now.

Good luck mate.

Brian

The slewing problem is down to your joystick being attached.

You'll probably find that one of the axes (on my X52 it's one of the wheels) is mapped to the rotate or move function under slew mode.

Detach it or just learn how to get it under control quickly !

Some BGLs are simply not readable by IS2. This is 'often' due to the BGLs being "locked" by the creator. Many of the OrbX scenery files are of this type!

As for not all objects showing up... be sure you load the BGL you are working on, and therefore "save" changes to the correct BGL. I accidently started adding objects to an entirely different BGL, and couldn't remember which it was. As such I couldn't get rid of some of those objects unless I could find the correct BGL file. It ended up being quicker just to disable each scenery in the library until the offending objects "disappeared", which clearly identified the culprit BGL file.

And of course, there is the possibility that you haven't activated your new BGL file in the library. Also, pay attention to the priority your scenery files have... this can have surprising effects with certain areas excluding objects etc. So, if you add some objects to an area that has exclusion rectangles activated by another scenery file higher in priority, your's won't show up!

There is a search option that scans all the BGL for a certain radius of your position, but it takes 12 hours to complete on my system ! Activating labels is often useful, as all the objects you've added to your current BGL file, are then identified.