Overclocked i7s - How Good Are They For FSX ?

Can anyone give me an idea of performance in say a complex airliner in a complex OrbX airport, with weather and Ai, using a decent CPU ?

I'm 90% towards the funds for a Sandybridge... but unless I can be assured of a decent experience, I may plumb (plump ?) for a cheaper i3 Clarkdale setup and just use FSX for GAs / VFR and stick with FS9 for the airliners.

The SBridge at 4.5GHz would probably be around 20% higher than an overclocked i7 at 3.8 or so.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Cheers.

Gabe,

Realistically an impossible question to answer given everyone's setup is so dependant on all their PC components as a whole, but what is known is a beefy CPU is the best value/performance gain for your money.

Cheers,

Joe

Gabe,

I'm no techo but researched a lot recently when I was spec'ing my new dedicated FS system a few months back. I also had a lengthy discussion with my very helpful computer store guy.

Some points to consider (in order of priority):

- get the largest CPU you can afford (I would stick with the i5);

- overclocking can be tricky and I have seen mixed opinions as to the "real" performance increase it delivers. The factorial increase in Ghz does not necessarily translate to the same increase in performance in FSX and heat build-up can also be a problem with overclocking;

- get a good graphics card; and

- add additional RAM.

Like Joe said, in the end, it is so much total system dependent, but you can then achieve big performance increases with the settings in FSX. I experienced this even with the new system and it is a "beast" (see specs below). Let me know how you go and I can provide some additional info about the FSX settings if you want.

Regards

Andrew

So guys, with both your i7's nicely overclocked, and clearly, a GPU that is not limiting in any way (same for RAM), what sort of FPS are you getting in a complex airliner VC (PMDG/Captain sim etc) in say Aerosoft Heathrow or OrbX Melbourne... with a reasonable amount of 3D weather and Ai traffic.

I realise everyones setup is different... but I just need to know that spending £700 on a SB setup isn't gonna leave me in the "mid-teens" FPS-wise.

If it is, I'd rather save £300, go with an i3 and keep the airliners for FS9.

Just an indication really, would be useful. Everyone quotes this "FSMark", but to me it's 'moot', as no-one uses default a/c and scenery - I need to know FPS in a complex plane in an airport with eleventy-million polygons, people-flow and a "reasonable amount of life - Ai a/c and clouds etc.

Cheers.

Gabe,

It's very late downunder in Oz right now. I will do some specific testing tomorrow in the PMDG aircraft range, as I have them all, and will give you some feedback on FPS levels.

BTW, my i7 isn't overclocked. I'm not convinced overclocking produces the results for the trouble.

Regards

Andrew

...what sort of FPS are you getting in a complex airliner VC (PMDG/Captain sim etc) in say Aerosoft Heathrow or OrbX Melbourne... with a reasonable amount of 3D weather and Ai traffic...

Gabe,

As promised, I have tested both the PMDG B747-400 and MD-11 at EGLL and YSSY (Sydney) in both good and bad weather, with a huge amount of AI (I don't have Aerosoft Heathrow or OrbX Melbourne but I do have OrbX FTX AU) and my display / scenery sliders are pretty much maxed out (some minor exceptions for known FPS sponges).

I conducted a series of circuits and touch and goes and was getting everything from about 7 to 30 FPS at different stages. Mind you, I have flown less complex aircraft around the same areas with similar FPS results. As a comparison, I can normally get 60 to 120 FPS in less complex areas.

I also frequent the OZx Forums a fair bit (www.aussiex.org) and there are a number of scenery developers there that use overclocked SB platforms for FSX.

I'm not sure these results will give you a sufficient answer, but I would still be inclined to go with the SB as it is a step in the right direction and tweaking of the system might give you the results you are looking for. Choosing the i3 solution doesn't give you too many options other than sticking with FS9 for the "heavy metal" flying.

I hope this helps in some way.

Regards

Andrew

Thanks for that.

I can only imagine a full international OrbX airport will still bring FSX to its knees, with ASE weather, Ai and a "far-from-efficient" complex airliner. 7-30 fps in default airports, with a i7 setup ? Cripes. Not great is it ?

Starting to think I should wait for the "computer yet to come" before switching to FSX exclusively. Otherwise, me thinks I will still be disappointed.

I guess that's the problem with running FS9 and a decent rig... 50 planes on the ground, another 30 in the air, 4 layers of weather... and still getting mid-twenties in a PMDG 747 at Aerosoft's Heathrow !!! It's not as pretty as FSX, but performance wise, it's a no-brainer.

An i3 540 setup will run most GAs brilliantly, and for around half the cost of a SBridge. And, at 4GHz, it should give me a healthy boost in FS9 too.

And, the difference in cost, will get me a 27" monitor and a TrackIR 5!

Anyway, thnx again for your time. Appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi GabethePilot,

Been doing alot of research myself on which is the best balance cpu - both affordable/performance, and came to a conclusion that the i5 2500k is the one to get as it's overclockable to a very nice degree.

I be getting the i5 bundle from here

https://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Bundles/Intel+Overclocked+Bundles/Gladiator+%2A%2AMSI%2A%2A+B3+Core+i5+2500K+4.40GHz+Overclocked+Bundle+?productId=44082

Hi,

Yes I agree totally. And amazingly, only about £30 more than i5 750 Clarkdale setup !

BUT..... and pay attention.... that 1333 Mhz RAM will "cripple" it. You really need 1600... timings less relevant.

Problem is... I'm moving house next week, and really want a 50 inch Panasonic G30 plasma TV ! - only £1250.

Oh the choices.

Think I'll send 'er indoors out to earn some more readies... :icon_thumbup:

You certainly have done your homework Gabe :001_th_smiles89:

Glad you mentioned about the RAM spec as I didn't think that this will cause any different.

Oh....I got a Panasonic 50" Plasma TV full HD, but don't know the model number. Guess the one you're after is capable of 3D right considering the price? :o

Yup, the RAM is way too low for max performance. Can't believe they'd skimp on the the cheapest component of that package !!!

Also, you can find CL 7/8 if you look around... marginally better than CL 9 ... but no real deal breaker. That's the downside of packages - you may need to concede the ideal components - I would be building my own, so could source every component individually.

As for the TV... No 3D for me - headache and I wear bins !

I'm after the 2011 50" G30 - Pro-level Black - as opposed to the GT 30 with 3D.

£1350 get's me a 5 year warrenty with it.

Still procrastinating !!! :th_smiles73:

I'd love to blow over a grand on FSX stuff... but can I justify it ? :icon_help: