I have been flying the Wagner Twin Cub nicknamed "The Beast" today.

In 1952, Mr. Harold Wagner, of the Wagner Aircraft Co., at Troh's Skyport, Portland, Oregon, wanted to develop a simple aircraft that would give the performance of a twin-engined aircraft at low cost. Among his experiments was the Wagner Twin Cub, which effectively was two PA-11 Cub Special's joined together. The resulting aircraft was so unconventional that Mr. Wagner called it "The Thing". It flew well, However, for a couple of years, despite the unsynchronized engines and overlapping prop arcs, although wing loading allowed only one of the two fuselages to carry any people or payload. Not finding any commercial success, the aircraft was eventually reverted back to two separate Pa-11s.

The-beast.jpg

Interesting, Kieran. I didn't know about that one. From the linked article it does not appear to have gotten beyond a single prototype - no production models were made. The Germans knew there way around an airplane and I have no doubt this would have been a viable aircraft, but not sure how practical it would have been as a heavy fighter. They already had the Me-110 and putting larger engines on that might have accomplished the same thing.

Can anyone think of any other cases of two identical AC being melded into one? Looks like we have four, two of which (the Cub and the Me-109z) being singletons. I'd bet that there are others lurking out there in aviation history.

John