Team Mutley for GARSA 2011...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, you should get a 27 knot tail wind on the Test Flight if you're at 13500 ft.

Are you sure of that? You will get about a 27% advantage over IAS from the effects of TAS at that height but there was no wind for the test flight.

John

John, I loaded the Test Flight situation files before taking off and climbing to 13500 ft. At the start, there was little/no wind, but above 10000 ft a strong (tail) wind developed, as you can see from this:

Tail_Wind_Test_Flight.jpg

I checked the weather and it confirmed the high altitude breeze! Maybe it's missing from FS9?!? :whis:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

It didn't happen with me. I had the Shift-Z info up. Also my time over the course was as expected with the IAS and TAS I calculated. Hmmm. Does Andrew know?

John

... with over 70% of entries using FSX, whose Test Flight time may be reduced by the tail-wind, it'll make for some interesting results, eh?!? :whis:

As the DH104 hasn't got ground-speed (TAS) indication, I had to 'deduct' the wind-speed mentally during the Test Flight and reduce considerably the throttle setting to get near Kieran's 35 minutes...

Maybe Andrew put this FSX/SX9 difference in deliberately? We should be told!

Ciao - Dai. :cool:

I was getting GS from the DME off the VOR at SKIP. I had 118 KIAS and about 145 GS, exactly what you'd expect at 13,500 with no wind. I didn't have a TAS readout, but that's about what what it would be.

John

I went to Bogota yesterday for some screenshots for the newsletter - used the Carenado C-210 with full tanks and forgot that the default setup is for pilot and 3 pax. I used almost all of the 12,000 + foot runway - could get it off but could not climb out of ground effect. Ugly.

Removing the pax weight (retained full tanks) and a notch of flaps made a difference. Could climb at 90 KIAS and 500 fpm. Can only get about 22" of MP with the most careful leaning. It's an ugly place to not be burning Jet A..

John

Dai,

John highlighted the "tailwind" issue. I have been flying the Test Flight in FSX for the last two days and haven't had a taillwind, or any wind for that matter, develop. I have just tested again in FS9 and FSX and nothing. So, I have no explanation. The file was created using the "Clear Skies" weather setting which provides a standard setting at all altitudes (or at least should). There has been no mention of it in the Forums either.

Another one for the FSX mystery basket!

Cheers

Andrew

Dai,

I've triple-checked in FS9. When I load Andrew's "GARSA 2011 - Test Flight" file from the Select A Flight page and then go to the World -> Weather page from the cockpit top-line menu I see the "Weather Themes" radio button selected and the top item in the list "Clear skies (clears all weather)" highlighted.

You might consider asking Andrew for a do-over on the test flight time.

John

Excellent work, Kieran - Thanks for uploading! :thum:

I've also uploaded my IFR version for GARSA, with some possible VOR/ADF waypoints. Times are for Dove at 110 KIAS.

@ Andrew - thanks for changing my DC-3 Test Flight Time - 140 knots is much more realistic for me! :th_smiles73:

Team Mutley Latest...

Leg 1 completed - Bogota SKBO to Ocana SKOC - Flight Time in DH104 Dove = 107.03 minutes. Fairly easy flight, except for the landing at SKOC, which came as a bit of a surprise! Here we are on the base leg:

GARSA_Team_Mutley_Leg_01_Approach_SKOC.jpg

And then the last turn to line up:

GARSA_Team_Mutley_Leg_01_Final_SKOC.jpg

Thank Heavens the Dove behaves herself - like a true Lady! :thum:

Leg 2 is under way - will post some shots when completed...

What I'm seeing/hearing so far from others is that the terrain in FSX is a bit more humane than what I'm seeing in FS9. My second leg "Proficiency Rating" is going to be abysmal - or worse. Terrain prevented me from turning on course for about 20 miles after takeoff, eating up all my reserve time and then some. I was about thirteen minutes late on a fairly short leg.

Dai - I stole one of your post photos and put it in the last issue of the OFSC newsletter, in an article called "Air Rally 101". I did give you credit in a little note at the bottom corner of the photo.

John

Team Mutley - GARSA Leg 2 Completed.

Again, another 'surprise' at the end of Leg 2 - this time a descent from 12500 ft, coming over the final ridge just above the foliage, to the airfield, 6000 ft below in, yes, you guessed, another quarry! Brilliant choice, Andrew! :thum:

Here we are coming over the ridge with SKLA below:

GARSA_02_TM_Above_SKLA.jpg

Base leg, after dropping 4500 ft:

GARSA_02_TM_Base_SKLA.jpg

Finding the quarry entrance on final:

GARSA_02_TM_Short_Final_SKLA.jpg

"Will you go down?!?" - trying to lose height over the runway:

GARSA_02_TM_Floating_SKLA.jpg

And, lastly, all of us cooling off - her Ladyship included - with a beer from the fridge:

GARSA_02_TM_Stopped_SKLA.jpg

Team Mutley Leg 2 Flight Time = 46.57 minutes. Not too bad... :th_smiles73:

Over to you, Chuck! Good Luck, mate! :clapping:

Ciao - Dai. :cool:

P.S. Thanks for the screen shot on your Newsletter, John! :thum:

yes, you guessed, another quarry! Brilliant choice, Andrew!

Dai,

What!!! :yikes: Another quarry? :biggrin: Didn't you know that's where they get the cocaine from. ;) Colombia is littered with disused cocaine quarries. As it is naturally occurring near the surface, and no deeper than about 750 ft, it doesn't take long for a site to become exhausted. The best use of these disued sites is airfields and airports and they have virtually paid for themselves before flying operations commence. :cool:

Cheers

Andrew

...Colombia is littered with disused cocaine quarries. As it is naturally occurring near the surface, and no deeper than about 750 ft, it doesn't take long for a site to become exhausted. The best use of these disued sites is airfields and airports and they have virtually paid for themselves before flying operations commence. :cool:

Cheers

Andrew

And I didn't think that "droll" was in the Oz vocabulary - thanks, Andrew! :thum:

Hwyl - Dai. :cool: