Roll out the barrel !

The Saab J29 Tunnan (Barrel)first flew in 1948 following a design brief that started in 1945. After WW2 access to German data enable Saab to redesign the J29 into a swept wing fighter. It was powered by a DeHavilland Ghost 50 jet engine producing 5,000Ib thrust.( the Ghost was larger than the original engine so the fuselage had to be widened to fit it , giving the aircraft its somewhat portly appearance, hence its nickname!) Later versions were fitted with afterburners which increased this to nearly 7,000Ib.(it also gave a climb ratio of over 15,000 min!) It entered service in 1951, the A hand B series aircraft were distinguished by the straight leading edges on the wings whereas the later aircraft had a distinctive Dog-Tooth design. the only export order was for the Austrian Air Force. The J29 also has the distinction of being the only Swedish Air force fighter ever to see combat when F22 Squadron was deployed to the Congo in 1962 to assist in the UN peacekeeping efforts during the civil war. The J29s wiped out the Katangese Air Force over Kolwezi airbase in a series of strikes. Inspite of its ungainly appearance the J29 was a superb aircraft and very agile, Top speed was over 650 kts putting it in the transonic flight region. The last aircraft were retired in 1964 but several survive to this day as warbirds and museum exhibits

J29B

J29Btoff.jpg

J29Blow.jpg

J29Bstorm.jpg

UN deployment

J29FUNLowstorm.jpg

J29UNstrike.jpg

J29BUNlow.jpg

the J29F

Austrian Air force

J29Fauspkd.jpg

J29Fauslow.jpg

J29Fausland.jpg

Swedish Air Force

J29Fclose.jpg

J29Fhigh.jpg

Thanks for viewing

Just a thought, I wonder if I can get a new 900i convertible as part of a Saab sponsorship deal!! :wootmesalia:

Didn't the parent company (GM) begin liquidation/administration processes for the SAAB company?...if so, i'm pretty sure they'd give you a 900i for whatever you wanted to pay them!

My brother in law had one of those, it was always breaking down :sorry:

Anyway, more great shots and background info Alan, I really like this model, was it one of the models you had on display next to your kit building desk? I seem to remember they were all SAABs!

Cheers,

Joe