Rivets and all?

Hi,

I am pretty new to repainting, but I know how to extract the texture out of the model and understand alpha's and stuff like that but the question I do have is this...

If I do a basic paint on top of an existing texture I lose the rivets and lines - is this important or does the model itself have bumps where the rivets are etc?>

I could create a separate rivet image and maybe just copy/paste them over the top after I finish the paint job, set oppacity to a lower level to help them blend?

What do the experts think in here? Do you worry about rivets and stuff?

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,

That depends on how good you want it to look.

A lot of aircraft come with a psd (Photoshop) paint kit where the lines and rivets are in their own layer.

If there is not a paint kit available then some aircraft come with a pure white livery that has all the detailing and you can use the multiply and or colour burn level blend mode in Photoshop so that the rivets show through from the layers below.

There are quite a few tutorials around.

Cheers,

Joe

Cool I will take a look around, I do not believe the plane I plan to modify (A36 Bonanza) has a paint kit but I will sort something out. I never thought of the burn and multiply functions. I will check out some tutorials on this.

Any links for this are welcome :thum:

Thanks Mutley (again)

If you are talking about the Carenado Bonanza, their aircraft usually come with an all white paint that you use to make your own paints.

I usually do this by having a white texture layer below and above my paint, and by multiplying the white top layer. This preserves my colours, while still keeping all lines and rivets visible.

You can check my V35 , C337 or Caravan paints to see the possibilities.

Yeah cheers for this, I did the Bonanza A36 in another post that way - I didn't have the white paint layer at the bottom though, just my own paint layers on the bottom and then put the white paint on top set to multiply.

Anyone wanting to know how to do this in photoshop here are some basic steps to get you going...

- Open the white paint texture in PS

- Duplicate the single white layer and delete the previous 'locked' layer; so now you have only the duplicate white layer in the list

- Right click on the layer and select 'Blending options'

- Choose 'Multiply from the dropdown and click OK

- Create a new layer and position this (drag and drop) below the white layer; this is the layer you will be using to paint on

Get the brush tool and set to a colour like light blue or pink (if your that way inclined) - paint on the picture with the second layer selected - you should see the rivets and lines even if you paint over them.