gen x volume 2 bit disappointed

Hi guys, I finally installed the gen x volume 2 last night and wasn't too impressed. The land looked flat, I had set all settings as recommended but still no joy. I did like how I could go visit my parents house etc but just a bit of an anti-climax find it flat and no objects on the terrain either!

I heard treescape wud help so I bought that too - bit better but not what I was expecting really.

If I knew it was like this I think I wud have gone for more orbx scenery - its a shame really!

I'm going to go flying in Wales tonight and hopefully the mountains will b better viewing.

If anyone has any tips or tricks to make this better feel free to add!

Cheers guys,

Jim

What sort of altitude are you flying at? Over about 2000ft photographic scenery should look three-dimensional, despite it being 2D (due to shadows on the images etc). Unfortunately you will notice the flatness when you descend below that height, but using EarthSim products or UK VFR add-on downloads (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?178954-FSX-Scenery-UK-VFR-Add-ons-Libraries) will bring it to life a bit.

That's Treescapes Martyn, I think Jim has already purchased that. There are some individual autogen enhanced areas available free via Earth Simulations look here http://earthsimulations.com/our_freebies.html.

On the payware side Shawberry Fields give the best combination of photoscenery and autogen and is more detailed than the Alderney and Guernsey sceneries, all from ES.

If Orbx do get around to doing the UK it won't be accurate as photoscenery is except you would get more 3d autogen

Hi guys, I finally installed the gen x volume 2 last night and wasn't too impressed. The land looked flat, I had set all settings as recommended but still no joy. I did like how I could go visit my parents house etc but just a bit of an anti-climax find it flat and no objects on the terrain either!

With photographic scenery you rarely have any autogen (buildings etc) unless they are added specifically, like Treescapes (trees) and Shawbury Fields (Buildings and trees).

I heard treescape wud help so I bought that too - bit better but not what I was expecting really.

Read the Treescapes review - Earth Simulations have brought the countryside to life with the autogen trees and shrubs.

If I knew it was like this I think I wud have gone for more orbx scenery - its a shame really!

You certainly won't find your parents' house in Orbx scenery, unless they live in a palace!

I'm going to go flying in Wales tonight and hopefully the mountains will b better viewing.

Higher ground is always better in photographic scenery - especially when this is associated with a more detailed mesh - Gen-X is brilliant in this respect - as you will see!

If anyone has any tips or tricks to make this better feel free to add!

Cheers guys,

Jim

Don't expect too much from photographic scenery unless you go for the ultimate - E.S. Shawbury Fields (see the Review). If Darren could do this for the whole of the U.K. then we'd all be happy...

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Yeah its a shame its like this but still I did enjoy it because I could follow roads that were real that I had driven etc - I am going to take out a jet tonight and see what its like from up there :) Don't get me wrong I am happy but I don't know why I was expecting more - guess it was because I am so used to Orbx software. My rents have a caravan too in a forest so Im going to find that and see what its like down there too

Thanks for all your advice - if anyone is thinking of getting this don't get me wrong I would still recommend it but just expect a flat terrain thats all - if you still satisfied with that then its great.

Jim!

Did you know that if you place your photo scenery below you UTX night lighting, you get the full traffic light effect at road intersections (only at night time though ;) .

But do disable the "night textures" that come with GenX... they are *ing awful.

Removing any obvious bias that I may have, I personally love using photographic scenery in FSX and really dislike going back to the default even though it contains more 3D objects/Auto-gen. The view out of the window above about 2000ft in FSX with photographic scenery exactly matches that I see when flying in real life and that really adds to the immersion - but I do find it to be only really effective when flying aircraft below 150 knots.

Removing any obvious bias that I may have, I personally love using photographic scenery in FSX and really dislike going back to the default even though it contains more 3D objects/Auto-gen. The view out of the window above about 2000ft in FSX with photographic scenery exactly matches that I see when flying in real life and that really adds to the immersion - but I do find it to be only really effective when flying aircraft below 150 knots.

I can add completely free of any bias whatsoever that I completely agree with you. Horizon Photo Scenery transforms the FSX experience for me. :cool:

OK took the B17 and the Embraer out tonight for a quick spin - took it higher and wow what a difference!! I think it wasn't what I expected but still it is very good at higher altitudes.

Didn't have chance to try the UTX tip - will when I get a chance. I have this dreaded flu and cannot shift it so short trips for me as my head gets very heavy rather quickly :wacko2:

Cheers guys!