Mastertronic's Andy Payne receives OBE in New Year's Honours list

Andy Payne has been awarded an OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in the Queen's New Year's Honours List.

Payne is known to almost everybody in the UK industry and is one of the most widely liked and respected executives in gaming.

As well as his roles as owner and managing director of Mastertronic and chairman of The Producers, Payne works with a number of key UK games bodies including trade organisation UKIE and games charity GamesAid.

He has been awarded the OBE for services to the UK computer games industry.

“I am truly surprised, honoured and very proud to have been awarded an OBE,” Payne exclusively told "MCV".

“I would like to thank all my workmates at Mastertronic, Just Flight, The Producers, BAFTA, Just Trains, Get Games, UKIE, GamesAid and AppyNation who I work with. I am truly thankful to have worked with so many fabulous people down the years and am proud of our great industry. We have all had plenty of challenges to overcome, especially in recent years, but these are great times and I would not swap my job with anyone.

“I would also like to thank my mum and dad who have always supported me and Kirsty, my wife, who is also my best friend and my rock.”

Congratulations Andy from all at the Hangar :thum:

I'm not well-versed in all the ins and outs of this. Though I undestand it at a superficial level, I'm sure there are a lot of unspoken facets that I'm unaware of. Nonetheless, I see some grousing about this on another forum (a forum paid for by the honoree - there's irony for you), about whether it's deserved, etc.

From the perspective of one from elsewhere, I'm very pleased to see Mr. Payne receiving this honor. Businessmen who build and maintain reputable companies that provide decent products and services to thier customers at fair prices and that provide decent, stable jobs for people and that pay into the tax coffers that keep the government functioning are what makes our society tick.

Government employees are necessary and some of them actually do some good - the military in particular contribute far beyond what they are paid. Government is necessary, though typically bloated. By and large, however, governments don't PRODUCE much of anything. It's businesses that produce goods and services and wealth for themselves and others. Someone who is an ethical and successful player in that realm, providing the products, services, jobs and the taxes that feed the rest of the machine are worthy of receiving some honors for their efforts, which benefit all.

Well done, Andy Payne. Congratulations.

John