Repainting AH logo

I meant the stats page via the AH Portal http://www.airhauler.net/portal/Stats/Main.php :)

Useful link that Joe, I'll have to register :thum:

On a separate but related note, I don't suppose there' an easy way to stick a logo on an aircraft is there? I'm assuming I'd have to start dabbling with all that repaint stuff and I'm not sure I'm technically able :whis: It would be nice to have the company logo for advertising :rofl: :rofl:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the offer Dai I do appreciate it but I’m not keen on flying the default aircraft as I bought the Carenado 182 in the sale specifically to use in Air Hauler. :thum:

I don’t suppose you could guide me through what to do to get a logo on eth Carenado? I suspect it’s more complex than just sticking things on it though? :huh:

I’d love to be able to do a little graphics tinkering or repaint but I think that’s well beyond me, although I do have photoshop :D

I'm sure that Jankees is probably the guy to ask, but here are some simple steps:

1. Install DXTBmp - this is a must for repainting FS9 and FSX (DDS) textures;

2. Get a decent image editor - you're in luck, you've got PhotoShop. MS Paint isn't really up to it;

3. Decide roughly what you want to do before you start! Putting a simple logo on an existing texture is a good way to learn;

4. Look for some tutorials - either YouTube based or on ,say, FSDeveloper, AVSIM, etc - and get an idea what's involved;

5. Choose the texture folder you want to edit (say Texture.Original), make a copy and call it Texture.New. You will need to amend your aircraft.cfg to accommodate this, but most texture downloads have a readme that explains this.

6. With DXTBmp, open the texture folder you want to edit (Texture.New) and choose the specific texture image for editing. Have a good look at it - is it the right one?!? Before sending the texture to PhotoShop, turn it the right way up - some textures are upside-down.back-to-front. Don't ask me why - it's easier to edit the texture that way. Oh, and don't forget to reverse the process after editing!

7. Send the image to PhotoShop and make the necessary changes. Adding a logo is really quite simple if you have prepared the logo with a transparent background. You can then paste it onto your image, resize it and move it around, to get the best effect.

8. After completing your editing, save the result - NOT as PSD, but as a FLAT image!

9. Return to DXTBmp and reload the edited texture. Check it and, if it's O.K. reverse any pre-edit swivels. Then save the image back into the Texture.New folder - you will have to over-write the unedited image.

10. Open up FSX and choose your newly decorated aircraft...

At this point, most of us who have tried to edit textures will tell you that: the aircraft is invisible, the livery is 'all over the place', etc, etc. I'm afraid you'll have to learn by making mistakes - well I did!

That's a basic guide - no doubt other members can refine it for you - Good Luck! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

What this talk about a "league" never heard about this before?

Cheer's...Graham...

I meant the stats page via the AH Portal http://www.airhauler.net/portal/Stats/Main.php :)

Thanks Joe, got it sorted now :thum:

Anyone know where I can find photoshop template for the carenado 182 RG? ( will give Sabre a bit of a hand if I can find one ;) ).

Cheer's...Graham...

Anyone know where I can find photoshop template for the carenado 182 RG? ( will give Sabre a bit of a hand if I can find one ;) ).

Cheer's...Graham...

I found some YouTube videos about it. Apparently the Carenado Aircraft don't have layered paintkits as such. This was the one I was looking at but it assumes a basic knowledge I don't have as yet as he starts with pre-made stripes but what he does with them is very good indeed.

Oops forgot the link http://iblueyonder.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/no-layered-paint-kit-no-problem/

Edited by Sabre

Carenado usually provides a blank 'white' texture sheet - use that as your base.

Thanks Tim I'll have a look for that tonight when I get in. I thought I'd checked the 182 folder and didn't see one but I look again. :thum:

Ok I looked into the 182 Folder and this is what i see

Repaint2.jpg

Inside the texture folder I see this

Repaint1.jpg

Am I even in the right place here and if so which file do I need? Bearing in mind initially I'm just trying to add a logo and maybe a slogan :D

it may be easier for you Graeme to get the 'basic' blank textures from the Carenado site as suggested by Keiron. They have only the texture's you need to change in them... go here and choose what you need, then follow the video link posted earlier in the thread to see how it's done.

Hi All,

If no one minds me popping in here, I have a question. I wanted to add a logo to the tail of my dhBeaver. I opened the DDS and found the tail and side sections. I reversed the image, opened it in Paint.net, and placed the logo I wanted. I also added some text on door and sides.

1. The port side looks good for logo and text but the starboard side logo is reversed but not the text, in FSX, although it all looks good in the DDS.

2. A bit of the lettering on the door is cut off even though the image shows the full side of aircraft.

Where did I go wrong?

garr3.jpg

Here is the reversed image before saving

A bit of the lettering on the door is cut off even though the image shows the full side of aircraft.

Sometimes the image file contains sections that are a bit "larger" (I.e. extended at the edges that don't matter) than what is actually displayed on the AC.

Think of it as an over-sized fabric "wrapper" that gets laid over the 3D form of the AC and the excess gets "trimmed off". You may need some trial and error to get the positioning just right.

John

What you need Graeme is Carenado 182 RG fuse.bmp or fuse2.bmp if you open them in DXTBmp it will show you the images so you decide which bit to paint.

To undertake a little test I've opened the 182 RG fuse.bmp using DXTBmp and then sent it to editor. Photoshop has created a "norm.bmp" where I have added a slogan onto the doors and stuck a logo on the tail - well I think that's where it is :)

I've then gone to save the bmp file with a view to replacing the fuse.bmp in the texture folder but I've noticed that the "norm.bmp file is 64MB where the fuse.bmp is only 16MB!

This doesn't seem right! have I missed something with DXTBmp?

I think you probably need to turn MIP-Mapping off in DXTBMP and save in the same compressed bitmap format as the original files. It's been a while since I dabbled in that and I don't recall, but when you save out of the editor and then when you save again out of DXTBMP, the file compression format you choose is critical to file size. I'm sorry I'm nt all that familiar with the details, but as I recall, that's the issue if your file is abnormally large and/or if it won't display properly in FS.

I'm sure an expert will be along shortly and put this into something useful.

John

To undertake a little test I've opened the 182 RG fuse.bmp using DXTBmp and then sent it to editor. Photoshop has created a "norm.bmp" where I have added a slogan onto the doors and stuck a logo on the tail - well I think that's where it is :)

I've then gone to save the bmp file with a view to replacing the fuse.bmp in the texture folder but I've noticed that the "norm.bmp file is 64MB where the fuse.bmp is only 16MB!

This doesn't seem right! have I missed something with DXTBmp?

Looks like you've done what i did when i first started out with DTXBmp - saved the repaint direct out of Photoshop to the re-paint folder as a BMP. In doing this, you'll inadvertently save the BMP as a fully uncompressed file, hence it's in 64MB size.

This isn't correct, instead you should just save the norm file to the temporary directory provided by DTXBmp, i.e. "Save As" and save to the directory provided on screen do not change it as this is needed by DTXBmp for the next step. Next, minimise PhotoShop and go back to DTXBmp, go to the Image menu and chose Reload After Edit. This will reload the "norm.bmp" file you saved from PhotoShop into the pre-chosen temporary folder.

hope that helps....if you need any more help, just holler. There's quiet a few who've repainted a few A/C and know their way around PhotoShop and DTXBmp here, i'm sure we'll all jump at the opportunity to assist.

think you probably need to turn MIP-Mapping off in DXTBMP and save in the same compressed bitmap format as the original files.

good advice there John, turning off MIPMaps within DTXBmp is definitely worth doing - they make your paint look all blurry from a distance - not good.

Looks like you've done what i did when i first started out with DTXBmp - saved the repaint direct out of Photoshop to the re-paint folder as a BMP. In doing this, you'll inadvertently save the BMP as a fully uncompressed file, hence it's in 64MB size.

This isn't correct, instead you should just save the norm file to the temporary directory provided by DTXBmp, i.e. just click "Save" rather than "Save As". then minimise PhotoShop and go back to DTXBmp, now go to the Image menu and chose Reload After Edit. This will reload the "norm.bmp" file you saved from PhotoShop into the pre-chosen temporary folder.

hope that helps....if you need any more help, just holler. There's quiet a few who've repainted a few A/C and know their way around PhotoShop and DTXBmp here, i'm sure we'll all jump at the opportunity to assist.

That sounds about right, I definitely didn't just hit the save button. Can't wait to get home now and try it. Thanks for the tip. :thum:

That sounds about right, I definitely didn't just hit the save button. Can't wait to get home now and try it. Thanks for the tip. :thum:

Just slightly modified my answer after having a go at it myself...nothing major, just thought i'd let you know.

think you probably need to turn MIP-Mapping off in DXTBMP and save in the same compressed bitmap format as the original files.

good advice there John, turning off MIPMaps within DTXBmp is definitely worth doing - they make your paint look all blurry from a distance - not good.

Thanks again - is turning off MIPMaps a simple thing to do - as I'm at work I can't check - where do I turn them off?

I believe it's an option in DXTBmp.

John

Thanks John :thum:

I need to spend some time in DXTBmp and check out the menus etc but I've got a bit carried away just trying to get my own AH aircraft up and running I've tended to focus on getting the end result rather than paying attention to what I'm doing :D

Thanks again, BTW you are up early this morning, how's the weather in Florida?

Cheers

Graeme

I believe it's an option in DXTBmp.

John

that's right John, after saving the 'norm.bmp' file and refreshing DTXBmp, on the right hand side there is a check box, next to which it says "Include When Saving" and "Include 16bit dither" disable these, then save where you want in whatever format you wish.

You can think of DXTBmp as an "interpreter" between the FS version of the files and your graphics editor of choice. You use DXTBmp to open the texture file and send it to your editor in a format your editor understands and can work in. After doing your thing there and saving from the editor, then you save again from DXTBmp, which re-creates the original compressed bitmap format that FS expects. DXTBmp is used between FS and the graphics editor, going both directions.

John